User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I pulled the Trigger on a '67 GTO!

New to this thread but I'm excited to share my purchase. Today, I completed the purchase of a 67 GTO. It is an all original car with matching numbers. Although I grew up around muscle cars and dirt track cars and anything high performance - I never thought I'd be blessed enough to have a great car like this. Unfortunately, it came as a result of the passing of my neighbor. A great man, this guy was a perfectionist (and reminded me a little of my dad who I lost 12 years ago). I asked him one day what he had in his garage, and he responded "that's my baby." After his passing, at the young age of 61, his daughter told me that they were considering selling the car. I immediately made an offer after looking at it with two "GTO" guys. Both thought I'd be nuts if I passed it up, and both were interested in purchasing it too - if I didn't. Well I did. Today I transferred the title and received a great deal of documentation on the car. The car's odometer shows 7272 miles. I know - hard to believe. I looked at documentation showing that it only had 6189 nearly 22 years ago when they purchased in from an individual in Columbus. They have only taken the car out of their garage a handful of times in the last 21+ years. The two guys I took to see the car believe that the car has been garaged for the last 40 years or so. The documentation I got with it (lots of documentation) includes the original window sticker from Bud Meadows Pontiac in Seattle, Washington. I also got the original sales receipts with a breakdown of all of the goodies. This receipt is from Osborne-Mcann Pontiac in Tacoma, Washington. The vin on both match that on my car. Total purchase price $3,602.58.

Last edited by MBGB33; 01-02-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Suggested removal - good advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

A few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 gto 1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	117059   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 gto 2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	117061   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 gto 3.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	117063  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations! - I share your joy.....

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the "congrats" gents. Does the fact that the "Body Plate" indicates that it was built in the 3rd week of January increase the value of this car? Thanks!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGB33 View Post
Thanks for the "congrats" gents. Does the fact that the "Body Plate" indicates that it was built in the 3rd week of January increase the value of this car? Thanks!
Nice find and buy. If it really is original miles and it's unmolested ( most all original parts still on) I would say that's what will increase its value not any dates. I hope you enjoy and if it is all original take pictures of everything . There are a lot of folks that need those for reference on rebuilds. I would have a real good gto expert look it over before you do anything .it crazy but just about every part on the car is date coded so be careful to keep every part you take offf. But that's up to you. I wish you the best. Doug
GoatSilver likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Doug. What I know for sure (in reference to the mileage) is that the car only had 6,189 miles on it when it was bought in 1997. I also know that the owners only took it out of the garage a couple of times in those 21+years. Unfortunately, before 1997, I have little info. The two guys who I took to look at it (who know old cars), both believe that the car is clean enough to have that few miles on it. They believe it could have been stored by the previous owner for years without driving (which is what the wife told me they were told). How do you prove it though? Odometer works, stories from prior to 1997 match up, two knowledgeable guys believe in the chances, but what else can be done???? Can a title history of the car be found?

The interior is perfect ( needs detailed and is a little moldy, but no tears or issues). The headliner is perfect too. The roof is perfect and original. The chrome is extremely nice, with some minor pitting, The body is very nice, but the driver's door has been painted (prior to 1997 according to pictures). I believe the door was painted very early because I have the business card from an individual in Tacoma Washington who does pin-striping (where the car was originally purchased). Motor all original.

The documentation I received was also amazing. The original window sticker, which they laminated years ago, the original - hand written sales receipt that shows the customer paid cash for it. The original owner's manual and service book with the Protect-O-Plates on the back, and various receipts. I haven't found the build sheet in my records, hopefully it'll be in the car. Thanks for any info.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
It hard to prove if original miles but the information you have is a great indicator . It really comes down to who sold the car and if you trust them which sound like it's not and issue with you. I bought a 68 in 2011 and had same in 1973 before entering military service . I love to drive mine now that it's up and running and hope you get that out on the road and enjoy . Im not sure how up to date you are on values but unmolested originals is where the money is. It yours now so do as you wish . Just so you know lots of info on PY forum also and my kids tell me facebooks is taking over. Take care Doug
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations, I would love to own a '67. Maybe someday.

2005 Phantom Black Metallic/RedHot/M6/17" rims (bone stock)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohio?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Garage
The chrome on the wiper switch is very worn for a 7K mile car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in