Identification Help 1965gto/lemans - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Identification Help 1965gto/lemans

Hello, Need some help.I'm looking to purchase this 1965 gto?My problem is after all the checking i still can't determine if it is a gto or just lemans.This car has sat in a garage since 1976 it has all emblems,grab bar etc.It does not have the motor or transmission.The id tag on the door identifies it as a pontiac lemans conv.just what it is,(237675) The data tag on firewall says the same although there is NO acc codes id. none at all.My question is can this be a real gto with out the 5n on the data tag or any acc listed or not?Everythig about the car seems real, except there is no 5n on the data tag.Car has original paint which is not good,but the emblems all appear original and untouched.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
THANKS TO ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to squrtdog50
What about checking the inside of the 1/4 panels to see if they filled the letter holes from the Le Mans on the side. Maybe not the answer your looking for but if it were a le mans the evidence would be there. I have a 65 le mans myself
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The 5N on the acc code was only used on the 64 and 65 GTOs built in Kansas City,MO (K)and Pontiac, MI (P), The Cars built in Fremont,CA (Z) used an UPC coding system and the cars built in Baltimore, MD (B) did not use the ACC coding system. The 7th digit in the VIN will be the plant the car was built in,

The best way to identify that car is to order the PHS documentation from Pontiac Historical Society.

They will send you the dealer order form, factory invoice or billing history. Window stickers are also available for an additional fee.

Good luck,

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 09-08-2007 at 01:22 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Identification Help

Thanks GUYS, As far as the quarter panel emblems go they look like they have never been changed and there are just three holes to hold them on,nothing has been filled.RANDY, Now it all makes sense according to the id tag the car was built in Baltimore Maryland. so that explains no acc codes on the data tag.The car just looks too original and unmolested not to be a orginal gto. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONES HELP.
Tony
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squrtdog50 View Post
What about checking the inside of the 1/4 panels to see if they filled the letter holes from the Le Mans on the side. Maybe not the answer your looking for but if it were a le mans the evidence would be there. I have a 65 le mans myself

15 years ago I restored a 67 GTO. I bought rear quarters from Arizona. They were off a Tempest or Lemans so we had to do some patching to use them.
While I hear this identification method mentioned all the time, it doesn't apply if the quarters have been replaced with used tin. With that in mind it's not a very reliable way to make a determination.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Showgoat67 Send a message via MSN to Showgoat67
65 lemans or gto

The only true way to tell on 1964 and 1965 to make sure it is a gto is to get the phs because the vin numbers did not show to be a gto until 1966.

If it isnt a GTO then why are you driving it.[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in