I'm Back!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm Back!!

finally, after 4 long months i got to come home to houston. will be here for a few days then disappearing for 3 weeks well earned vacation. thinking road trip. so here's where you guys come in...

do i road trip with the lemans and enjoy the fall weather in my convertible or do i just loaf it in my truck? would really like to take the lemans but doubling the gas costs doesn't appeal and if i bring the truck, i can tote my motorcycle along too. whatdaya say?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmac26 View Post
finally, after 4 long months i got to come home to houston. will be here for a few days then disappearing for 3 weeks well earned vacation. thinking road trip. so here's where you guys come in...

do i road trip with the lemans and enjoy the fall weather in my convertible or do i just loaf it in my truck? would really like to take the lemans but doubling the gas costs doesn't appeal and if i bring the truck, i can tote my motorcycle along too. whatdaya say?

Do whatever makes you happy. I would take both the LeMans and motorcycle. How much extra will gas cost in any event? Have fun.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome back man!!! sorry about not leaving any beer in your fridge or gas in your car!!!! Eric

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Wow, so I'm not the only Houston guy on this forum that spends alot of time out of town...
I vote for you to take the LeMans, but I don't know how far you want to go, and what kind of shape your car is in. I'm driving my Javelin up to West, Texas on the 16th for an AMC regional meet, but that's only about 3 hours each way and I know the car well enough to trust it (knock on wood). Find some back road routes, take it easy and you won't use as much gas. No need for the motorcycle if you're cruising with the top down!
Later
Jeff

'68 GTO, 400/TH400, AC/PS/PB/PW/tilt, hideaways, Hurst dual gate
'72 442 'Vert, 350/TH350, AC/PS/PB/PW/tilt
'71 Javelin, 401/4-speed restomod
'74 Corvette, 383/4-speed, 450 hp, restomod *SOLD*
'70 Cougar XR7 'Vert, 351W/FMX auto *SOLD*
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Welcome back man!!! sorry about not leaving any beer in your fridge or gas in your car!!!! Eric
That beer was good, eh Eric!

Almost forgot, the Le Mans, duh!!!!!

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
well guys, we're talking 3600 miles round trip w/o any puttering around while i'm there, probably looking at more like a total of 4500 miles, with no radio...and a car that sure isn't water tight Cost of the trip with ONLY fuel included would run about 1200 - 1400 assuming avg of $3/gal. that just seems a little costly in my mind for a trip that would make me nervous since i haven't run the car in 4 months.

and yea, wtf guys. you take all my good beer and replace it with wine coolers and smirnoff ice. what kind of parties have you been throwing while i've been away?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
well guys, we're talking 3600 miles round trip w/o any puttering around while i'm there, probably looking at more like a total of 4500 miles, with no radio...and a car that sure isn't water tight Cost of the trip with ONLY fuel included would run about 1200 - 1400 assuming avg of $3/gal. that just seems a little costly in my mind for a trip that would make me nervous since i haven't run the car in 4 months.

and yea, wtf guys. you take all my good beer and replace it with wine coolers and smirnoff ice. what kind of parties have you been throwing while i've been away?
Sounds like you may be on a bit of a tight schedule. I think I would take your truck for this trip and may be come back a little early so you can spend some quality time driving the Lemans, or maybe even take a short local trip with it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
xmac, you should do what you're comfortable with. A lot of times the vehicle "makes" the trip. It's the drive, not the destination. That said, if you have reservations about reliability, fuel, etc., again, go with your gut. Here's what I did: I installed a really long legged rear end (2.56) in my '67 convertible because it's a comfortable car I always seem to take out of town. My MPG went from 15 to almost 20. Something to consider. If your Pontiac is almost as thrifty as your pickup or ypur modern car, you can enjoy it more often if fuel costs are an issue.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Now you give us the details! Sounds to me like you answered your own question. I think you'll have a more enjoyable trip if you "loaf" it in the truck. Then you can run around with the cycle for the fun stuff. If you take the car, I think you will constantly worry about "if it's" or "what's" going to break. Worrying about it all the time wouldn't make for a very relaxing vacation..

ps. We left wine coolers because your neighbors said that's what you "really" like..... Just tryin' to help you out..

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Garage
If you cruise up to New Yawk... I owe you a couple beers, stop in!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in