LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm interested in a '67 GTO

Images of the car can be found here:

GTO - Imgur

Hardly any rust. Original 400 automatic engine although the carburetor has been replaced. The trunk pan will need to be replaced as it has rusted (I've heard this is common with older GM vehicles). Original seats are in great condition and the car run/sounds great.

The owner is asking 18k for it and I am thinking about making an offer for 12.5 and seeing if we can meet in the middle. Would this be a fair deal?

Thanks if advance for any advice, I've been lurking around this forum for a little bit and would like to thank all the contributors here for the great information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
First, I wouldn't agree with "Hardly any rust" and then, "the trunk pan needs to be replaced". Sounds like significant rust to me. The thing with rust is, what you see generally equals half or less of what is really there. I'd proceed with extreme caution, if I were you.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely not an $18K car IMO

I think $12.5 is a fair offer if you can confirm the amount of rust. See if you can get him to throw in a different steering wheel too

Nick C.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If the trunk is rusted out I would be looking at the rear window closely. The window channels tend to rust out as well causing water to leak into the trunk. Maybe pour some water onto the bottom of the window with the trunk open and see if it's leaking.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
What these gents said. IF no more rust, 12.5k car at the max. It needs a lot of TLC, and it needs door panels and paint. $$$$. Rukee is dead on: rusted out trunks are generally caused by the rear window rusting out first.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the comments and I will definitely heed the advice on the suggestions.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I'd have to agree that 18K seems a bit much for a car that appears to need a full resto. Wrong wheels (Oldsmobile), no A/C belt, parts store cheesy hose coverings, aluminum intake, and I agree wholeheartedly with the rust analysis, what you see is only the tip of the iceberg with rust. I'd move on and find a better candidate for that money.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 PM

I will concur with the sentiment with the rusted trunk. Your highly likely to find significant amounts of rust around the rear window, inner rear wheel wells, full trunk floor and the filler pan between the trunk and the rear windshield. My LeMans looked very nice until I pulled out the glass, and oh boy, what fun....You better be able to have access to a welder and some shop tools and know how to fabricate, or have deep pockets to pay someone that can.

Rusty in NC
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Agree with everything that's been said so far. Plus, notice how there are no photos of the rear of the car or the trunk? That would concern me.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When I built my 67 GTO...I put all new floors in it....check the panel between the 2 roof 'wings', below the rear window..it is actually TWO panels with a space between them....also check the doors, front fenders, and quarter panels...RUST can be a major issue below the lower trim moldings....Rust is worse than DENTS....just sayin'....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	42793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in