increasing horsepower? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
increasing horsepower?

So I'm wanting to increase the horsepower on my '73 GTO but not sure how. Gimmie suggestions guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Headers and cam

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You're only limited by your wallet!!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Need several pieces of information, like:

* What are you running now? (Engine, heads, cam, carb/intake, exhaust - also transmission, rear axle, power brakes? a/c?)

* How much of an increase are you looking for?

* How does the car get used? (street, highway, race, show, mixture)

* Is it "original" now and how important is it to you to maintain that?

* (Last but not least) Ball park budget?

To give you a "general" answer, an engine is basically just an air pump. Getting more power out involves making it pump more air. There are many different approaches as to how. Give it bigger lungs (more displacement - bore and stroke), make it breathe "more quickly" (cam to make it efficient at higher rpm, [but at the expense of lower rpm efficiency]), make it breathe more efficiently (better heads, better exhaust, better carb/intake), "force feed" air to it (supercharger, turbocharger), or a combination of two or more approaches. That all have their advantages, disadvantages, costs, impact on reliability/drivability, etc.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

Last edited by BearGFR; 03-25-2013 at 02:54 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM

If you are a little more specific as to how much money you want to invest and how deep you want to go into modifying I'm sure a bunch of people here could make some good suggestions.
As a basic rule of thumb with any car the first thing to always go after is give the engine the ability to take in more outside cooler air and the ability to expell the exhaust in the shortest and least restrictive manor.
An engine is nothing but a big air pump. The more air you can get in at the coolest tempature possible will allow you to add more fuel. Then you need to get ride of what you have taken in as quick as possible.
This is a very over simplified point of view but is the basic principal.
I always preach never just improve and engines ability to take in more air and fuel unless you are going to improve its ability to expell that now used air if you want the best results for your efforts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok wow um here goes so my car has the stock 442, V-8 in it but it has a MSD Ignition blaster, edelbrock valve covers and air filter with the quad jet carb right now. everything else is stock on this car, I know it will be expensive but i'm not trying to do it all at once. I was researching and the engine it currently has only puts out like 230 HP i believe and I want uproots of 400 if possible without changing the engine all together. I am really looking at putting a blower on it right now. it is not for the track this will be a hot rod that can also double as a everyday driver, I'm just looking for idea's. I won't lie I'm not good with car's but I'm going to do what I have to make this one where I want it "I learn best that way". So bare with me if I say something stupid that's my bad lol.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
442? What car do you have?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

73 GTO it's got the V8 but its a 400 4 carb 2 exhaust isnt that the 442?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Whoa there dude....sorry but you sound like a total muscle car noob. No offense but you need to do a little research and I would start at the basics or you could ruin your car and bank account. First and foremost, 442 is an Oldsmobile model, you have (I presume) a Pontiac GTO which shares the same chassis with the Olds but little else.

Not being sure of the condition of your car and it's drivetrain if I were in your shoes I would start by just giving your car a good tune and an engine health assessment starting with a compression test. Are you sure your car has the original engine?

As others have said, you should have clear goals, plans, and a budget. An engine build from scratch can cost anywhere from $4K to 10K without a blower.

If you really plan on supercharging a Pontiac I would plan on spending 15K or more. Superchargers put extreme stress on an engine and drivetrain and everything must be fortified accordingly. Transmission and rear axle must also be built to withstand the stress and you'll need a dedicated fuel system, ignition system etc.

Honestly a Pontiac can be built to make 400 HP and 500 tq and that is enough HP for most and will yield neck snapping performance. Many members on here have done it and all of us are willing to share experience and knowledge.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

A few post's up you will see that I already said I don't know a lot about car's I'm a motorcycle guy. Anyways yes its the original engine this I know for a fact it runs strong seeing how I drove it from LA to San Diego I know that the 442 is in the old's but what is mine then it's a 400 4 barrel 2 exhaust........ain't that a 442? It has all the original paper work and i'm the 3 owner it's just sat along time. I know it's going to be pricey and again this is why I said I'm not looking to do it all at once but I wanna make it a sick ass car. I know what my goal's are lol I just started this thread because I would like to know what can be done to enhance HP lol I am adding header's here in a little while and im going to change the pipes that's on it now I was also thinking of adding a power chip. I'm going to see if I can add a photo on here though my mobile device then ya'll can just see the engine lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in