User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Jim Wangers

I went to the Central California Pontiac and Oldsmobile car show today in Madera, CA. Jim Wangers was there, and I got to spend some time with him. He told me the story of how Verdoro Green came to be, and also shared some information on the Tiger Gold cars of '65 and '66 and what a problem the paint was under warranty with adhesion problems. I showed him my '67 in the parking lot (I didn't enter my car, just drove it up there) and to my delight he approved of the color change from Signet Gold to Flambeau Burgundy. I shared with him my history with the car, and he seemed happy that I've had it so long and have racked up so many miles on it. I wished him a happy 85th birthday a month in advance and shook his hand. Mr. Wangers is truly a one of a kind guy....hardcore "car guy" all the way through, and the main reason we have the GTO and the HUrst shifter in the GTO from day one. A class act, and he seems healthy and in good form. Hopefully, he will be with us for a long time yet to come. Also met some other Pontiac guys with some neat rides (one was a '56 StarCheif with the original 316 but fitted with a '58 Bonneville fuel injection that had been converted to electronic) and another with a Tiger Gold factory AC '65. Unfortunately, none of these guys have computers and are not participating on any forums. Anyway, it was a great day for a cruise (in the 70's here), and great to see Jim again. He had his Royal Bobcat '65 post coupe there for sale.....neat car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That had to be the high light of your day!! I'm hoping that you were able to get pictures of you and Jim. He is a true legend in his field of Pontiac's Big John NYC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Sounds like a great day. Is it true that Verdoro green came to be because John Z's wife had an ashtray that shade of green and he liked it . That is what I heard ......don't know if it is true but it is my favorite color GTO.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 AM

Yes.... what IS the Verdoro Green story? I am interested! Details!

GTO 1
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:32 AM

Just think if you had got him to sign your car.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jeff...that's about as cool as it gets, envious! Rick

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400fitz View Post
Sounds like a great day. Is it true that Verdoro green came to be because John Z's wife had an ashtray that shade of green and he liked it . That is what I heard ......don't know if it is true but it is my favorite color GTO.
True..... It's also true GM wanted the color for GM cars and John Z said NO!
Then came time for a hot color for the '69 Judge and Pontiac approached GM wanting Chevy's Hugger Orange. Chevy division said NO, you refused to give us V. Green so.......... they took it anyway changed the codes and renamed it Carousel Red. ~~~~ Wangers, LOL.

The first Judge was actually Limelight Green, and the car was repainted to C.R. If one looks at the very first advertisements of the '69 Judge you'd see the stripes and Judge decal not right. That's because the final look didn't meet the advertising deadline and they went with the prototype pictures.
~~~ Wangers

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Yeah, it was a great day. I didn't get my picture with him because I didn't want to "explloit" him, if that makes sense. I had talked to him earlier at his booth, and later ran into him out by the parking lot when he checked out my car. I didn't even THINK to have him sign my car, even though he signed the POP for my '65 two years ago. I was so engrossed in what he had to say, that I wasn't really thinking about that! He's a super "down to earth" guy and very sharp. We talked about how cars used to be designed by "car guys" who had passion for racing and driving, and how all that has changed. The Verdoro Green story is that JZ DeLorean's wife saw an ashtray at a party she went to and told her husband she wanted that color on the new Pontiacs. JZ did it to appease her, and it was optional ONLY on the Firebird in '67, and then on everything in '68. Chevy wanted the color, but it was a Pontiac Exclusive. He also informed me that when the Tiger Gold color was formulated in '65 and used in '65 and '66, that there were problems with the adhesion qualities of the paint (too much metallic) and they had to warranty most of the Tiger Gold cars. He said the "replacement" for Tiger Gold was '67's Signet Gold, which as I can tell you, is nowhere near the color of tiger gold. Signet Gold is really pale and washed out looking. Interesting thing he told me was that if you want to paint an early GTO "Tiger Gold", have the car painted 2001 Firebird color "California Gold". It was a special color only available in CA in 200-2001 on Firebirds, and it is a perfect match for the original Tiger Gold of the '60's. Again, a lot of information in a very short time from the guy who was there on Day One. Great stuff!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Sounds like a great day. Wish I'd been there with you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Isn't he just the greatest. He has been coming every year to the Pontiac Heaven event here in Phoenix and what has already been said, he just goes out of his way to accommodate any question posed. Two years ago I took a picture of my '69 for him to sign and this year I had my wife get a picture of us together. What a neat guy. I know several guys from our local group drove over for the event today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in