Judginess - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Judginess

I just bought a GTO 3 weeks ago. It is a 1969 automatic and it is my first Goat. It is only driver quality so I am thinking about giving it the Judge look and feel. It already has the spoiler and hood tack. The rest is easy with striping and emblems and such.

What I am really curious about is performance... I would like to give it RAM Air or something similar. The ports don't need to open and close... they can stay open. I would also like to mod the engine to look like a Ram Air set-up with the air filter and cushion connecting up to the intakes. Finally, I would like to install a performance cam (not necessarily the exact Judge Ram Air IV option one).

What are some recommendations on perfromance Cams (400 engine), Carburetors to match and any other air intake or misc assumptions / considerations that I should take into account. I am trying to get a look and feel of a Ram Air IV car but I don't necessarily need to have those exact specifications...

Also, what kind of Carb who you recommend? Is a Q-Jet the best option? Who does quality rebuilds?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Garage
First, all i will say is there are a lot of judge clones out there, I know, I know they are cool and everyone wants a judge, I too considered making a clone. Your car is special because it's GTO, don't discount that history. Get the PHS, look at your cowl tag, see what she was born as and consider returning her to her assembly line roots.

That said, RAIV performance is easy now-a-days. Get some Edelbrock aluminium heads (not ram air but they perform, don't run as hot and you can run pump gas) http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-size/6-6l-400

Then go shopping at Performance Years or Whatever - here's PY part numbers
RPE490 1969 RAM AIR IV ALUMINUM INTAKE .........................$345.00
RPE654 1968-77 2.25" RA ROUND-PORT MANIFOLDS ......$379.00/pr
HC57 CAMSHAFT, RAIV .................................................. .......$139.00

Most places also have the ram air goodies like the air cleaner pan, scoops, hardware, etc.

Hardest part will be a carburetor that will perform like a RAIV Quadrajet ...

THESE ARE EXAMPLES, you can get this stuff a number of places.

So check PY, OPGI, AMES, all that. Test out your GoogleFu

Hope this helps

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacpurebrred View Post
First, all i will say is there are a lot of judge clones out there, I know, I know they are cool and everyone wants a judge, I too considered making a clone. Your car is special because it's GTO, don't discount that history. Get the PHS, look at your cowl tag, see what she was born as and consider returning her to her assembly line roots.

That said, RAIV performance is easy now-a-days. Get some Edelbrock aluminium heads (not ram air but they perform, don't run as hot and you can run pump gas) http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-size/6-6l-400

Then go shopping at Performance Years or Whatever - here's PY part numbers
RPE490 1969 RAM AIR IV ALUMINUM INTAKE .........................$345.00
RPE654 1968-77 2.25" RA ROUND-PORT MANIFOLDS ......$379.00/pr
HC57 CAMSHAFT, RAIV .................................................. .......$139.00

Most places also have the ram air goodies like the air cleaner pan, scoops, hardware, etc.

Hardest part will be a carburetor that will perform like a RAIV Quadrajet ...

THESE ARE EXAMPLES, you can get this stuff a number of places.

So check PY, OPGI, AMES, all that. Test out your GoogleFu

Hope this helps
Thanks! What kind of Carb do you recommend? Can I just cut out the plastic in the scoops I have? How much better would headers be than the manifold you suggested? Is there a Royal Pontiac looking header out there? Did they even use them?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
There is another member on here looking for "uncut" hood scoops and he is willing to trade his that have been opened up. https://www.gtoforum.com/f92/wtb-1969...-scoops-69890/

As far as the Judge striping....I've been considering this myself to break up all the orange for quite some time. I'd like just the stripes or a custom variation of them without the "Judge" callouts on the fenders and spoiler.

They are just decals and if you decide you don't like them, take em' off! A magnetic stripe set would be cool, you could run the stripes and callouts if you wanted or take them off without any hassle.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Good pick on your car. But.......WHOA! Your putting the cart before the horse here. You are jumping too quick. First thing is to do some research into Pontiac GTO's, Pontiac engines, and then Pontiac aftermarket performance engines. Ames has an online catalog you might find worth while in downloading and look at the assorted items you mention -they also have books and shop manuals that will educate you on what you need to know about GTO's.

There are many threads to be read on this forum that will educate you on your choices. You want to put together a package you won't be disappointed with.

Do you have a budget in mind? Are you doing a complete tear down of your engine or just doing add-ons to the running car? What's in the car now? Do you want a driver or are you going to use it for drag strip use with the Ram-Air IV cam?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Good pick on your car. But.......WHOA! Your putting the cart before the horse here. You are jumping too quick. First thing is to do some research into Pontiac GTO's, Pontiac engines, and then Pontiac aftermarket performance engines. Ames has an online catalog you might find worth while in downloading and look at the assorted items you mention -they also have books and shop manuals that will educate you on what you need to know about GTO's.

There are many threads to be read on this forum that will educate you on your choices. You want to put together a package you won't be disappointed with.

Do you have a budget in mind? Are you doing a complete tear down of your engine or just doing add-ons to the running car? What's in the car now? Do you want a driver or are you going to use it for drag strip use with the Ram-Air IV cam?

Agreed!

I recommend quadrajet carburetors exclusively for Pontiac but that's just MHO here's a great resource - cliffshighperformance.com great book on how to make almost any quadrajet a quality carb for almost any application. Also recommend Jim Hands book on how to build performance Pontiac engines. Our own BearGFR is a great resource as well ...look up his build on here.

Overall ...go in educated and you'll end up with a winner. Nuttin like good old poncho power.

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!

Last edited by Pontiacpurebrred; 06-12-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: idiot
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
headers are notorious for being hard to fit into these cars. The RA ex manifolds flow almost as good, look more like a judge, and are much easier to fit in the car.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post

Thanks. I know what I have always wanted but can't quite afford... I will check AMES as well but often it is experts like you guys that know the right combinations through trial and error. I have read much about the history and have ordered books on restoration. I plan to do some myself and some with a local mechanic I trust.

I don't have a strict budget. Considering I got the car for a good price I am willing to put more in it to make it "my" GTO. Don't need a complete tear down, add ons like I mentioned should work.

I know that the RA IV Cam is not a very good street ride but I figured technology and time caught up to make something RA IV ish that is fun to take down to the ice cream shop too!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTO4004Spd View Post
headers are notorious for being hard to fit into these cars. The RA ex manifolds flow almost as good, look more like a judge, and are much easier to fit in the car.
Thank, good to know. I had heard that Doug's Headers were a good bolt on...?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacpurebrred View Post
Agreed!

I recommend quadrajet carburetors exclusively for Pontiac but that's just MHO here's a great resource - cliffshighperformance.com great book on how to make almost any quadrajet a quality carb for almost any application. Also recommend Jim Hands book on how to build performance Pontiac engines. Our own BearGFR is a great resource as well ...look up his build on here.

Overall ...go in educated and you'll end up with a winner. Nuttin like good old poncho power.
Q-Jet is what I was thinking but who makes the best rebuilds? I assume there are not any new options for these...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in