Just another way they making it harder to own classic cars - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just another way they making it harder to own classic cars

Went to the courthouse today and asked the lady about registering my 70 GTO. Now understand the car is under construction and will not be on the road for some time. So no need for insurance or a tag right. I just want to get it put in my name so no previous owner shows up reporting it stolen, then I have to give it up after sinking a ton of money in it.

So the lady says I have to trailer it to the court house. Let them verify the VIN on the bill of sale and the vehicle. And must have proof of insurance and will have to purchase a tag also.

Also know that the state of Alabama doesnt require a title for 1975 and older vehicles. And they randomly audit people by mailing out a paper to fill out showing your currently carrying insurance on your vehicle and if not your registration will be cancelled. WTF! So I have to buy insurance long enough to trailer this car thats 90% unassembled to the court house so they can see it . Then I plan to cancell the insurance, and hope to hell I do not get audited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitOrange View Post
Also know that the state of Alabama doesnt require a title for 1975 and older vehicles. And they randomly audit people by mailing out a paper to fill out showing your currently carrying insurance on your vehicle and if not your registration will be cancelled. WTF! So I have to buy insurance long enough to trailer this car thats 90% unassembled to the court house so they can see it . Then I plan to cancell the insurance, and hope to hell I do not get audited.
You're problem is that you're expecting it to make sense. When dealing with any government agency, you've got to give that expectation up. You'll feel better.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 AM

If you have a bill of sale, it would be pretty easy to counter any argument about the car being slolen, in case that did come up.

In cases like this, I've always waited to get insurance on the car and register it until the car is fit enough to drive. Depending if the Title is dated with the date of the sale sometimes there an extra "late fee" to pay, but it's worth it

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
depending on what its worth to you in the stage it is at now you may want to get a rider on it as most non road worthy vehicles are not covered under home owners policies, should at least have it insured for receipt value.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 AM

my dad pays like $100 a year for his classic car insurance.. should cover you for a non running car
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I was told by the ND motor vehicle that a bill of sale means absolutely nothing unless it is signed by a notary.

They also send out state troopers to your vehicle location to do the VIN inspections here, no trailering.

Either way best to apply the lube before you even go to the DMV so it hurts less. I think their motto is "guilty until proven innocent".
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM

On mine all I had to do was contact the local sheriff or state patrol and they came out and did a vin verification.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM

i love alabama.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 PM

i bought a 64 chevyII in TN complete with title. took it to the courthouse in alabama to get it registered in AL. they sold me a tag no problem but didnt even take the TN title. and didnt issue me an AL title. not only do they not require a title for the old stuff, they wont even make one.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tempestGT View Post
i bought a 64 chevyII in TN complete with title. took it to the courthouse in alabama to get it registered in AL. they sold me a tag no problem but didnt even take the TN title. and didnt issue me an AL title. not only do they not require a title for the old stuff, they wont even make one.

How do you prove that you own a car without a title?

KICK THE TIRES & LIGHT THE FIRES
Dreamin of Montero Red & Parchment White '66;
2004 LS1/T-56; LMII, Skipshift del, GMM Ripshift, K&N CAI, TC AutoOff, AVIC-7000NEX
1992 Dodge Dakota LE; 5.2L Magnum
2006 Kawasaki EX250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in