Just Bought a 1964 GTO; What am I in for? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just Bought a 1964 GTO; What am I in for?

Hey guys, I have been lurking in these forums for a bit till I actually pulled the trigger on my new 1964 GTO. My father and I decided to take a swing at one as it has always been something he has had his eye on when I was growing up. So we finally found one that was selling nearby and decided to check it out.

We couldn't believe our eyes, but we found an unmolested stock GTO. It was in great condition with the only thing changed being the paint color and power steering. It looks appealing and sounds like brand new.

Now we are at a turning point to figuring out what we do with it. Myself being in my middle 20s, feels that keeping it looking and sounding stock, but give it some bigger balls. My father, wants to keep it stock with some slight modifications. Anyone know of any sites that I would be able to start ordering some parts from?

We decided to have it delivered than drive it home. So it will be here tomorrow and then the fun begins

Here is a photo and video from the dealer; More to come when it arrives!

Here is a video of it running.
IMG_0160_zpsad9dfe2a.mp4 Video by naplesvin | Photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. A nice original car should be kept that way, they are few and far between. Changes will also effect the value, but we like to say "it's your car build it how you want". You may be surprised at the power they can make and look externally stock (500+HP/500+ torque). Aims, Performance Years and NPD all have full catalogs for our cars. Summit and Butler are sources for speed parts.

And your in for a lot of "seat of the pants" fun, people getting whiplash turning to see you drive by, countless conversations at car shows or out in front of the local store about "i had one of those back in the day...". Once you own and drive a Pontiac your hooked for life...ask anyone here.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
Welcome to the forum. A nice original car should be kept that way, they are few and far between. Changes will also effect the value, but we like to say "it's your car build it how you want". You may be surprised at the power they can make and look externally stock (500+HP/500+ torque). Aims, Performance Years and NPD all have full catalogs for our cars. Summit and Butler are sources for speed parts.

And your in for a lot of "seat of the pants" fun, people getting whiplash turning to see you drive by, countless conversations at car shows or out in front of the local store about "i had one of those back in the day...". Once you own and drive a Pontiac your hooked for life...ask anyone here.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I will definitely have to subscribe to some of these catalogs. I already see the reminiscing when I pull up to the grocery store lol.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice car, don't rush your decision on what you want to do. Drive it like it is and eventually you'll decide what you want to do with it. Whatever you decide, keep all the stock parts and don't do anything that can't be reversed.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
And realize that a lot of repro parts are imported and not up to OEM quality or are not exactly like the original parts. Always keep the originals and for replacements on an original car I would try and find NOS or lightly use original before reproduction parts.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Welcome, and what these gentlemen have stated is true. I've been driving GTO's for over 35 years, and have always driven them 'as cars'. My recommendation to you is to actually drive and experience the car. You say it needs 'more balls', but you need to get some experience behind the wheel so you have a baseline to work from. Real experience. Like miles and years, not a spin around the block. These cars have enough balls to get you sideways into a telephone pole in a split second. So what I'm saying is, I'm with your dad's school of thought. Get it out and enjoy dialing it in and driving it, and putting your touch on it. The more you drive it the more impressed you will be. These cars in stock or near stock form are going the way of the do do bird and the stock '40 Ford coupe and the un-cloned LeMans: extinct. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM

What are you in for? Your in for some good times! Congrats, it looks like a beautiful 64.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! We will definitely be driving it like it should be driven . So far it's all stock and the numbers match up. Only thing we need to really look into is to see if it's the original transmission which we are unsure of. Only thing it's lacking (living in Florida) is Air condition. I have to see if it's going to be something we may need to breathe in the vehicle. The interior is pristine except for a small rip in the back..The car should be arriving soon and I will have more updates and pictures of what I got going on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
nice '64, don't jump the gun.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm with everyone else. Drive it and enjoy. Fix the little things that may, and probably do need fixing. Plus it's a tri power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in