Just had my car appraised, can't believe it?! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had my car appraised, can't believe it?!

As some of you may remember I asked for help trying to diagnos a slight knocking noise. Still not positive but it appears to probably be a wrist pin. New motor for only 300 mls but this is what happened. I started thinking that I'll rip the motor out and start an internal inpection which would take the better part of a day. But then I thought, I have this car for twenty years and since the frame off 7 yrs ago I have 300 mls on it. A damn sin. I have alot of projects that I'm more interested in and mabey I should sell it as is which is w/ the wrist pin but still a new blueprinted motor and a prettyy nice car otherwise but needs TLC and some finishing. So I had it appraised today. It's a #'s matching 1970 GTO 455 HO w/ a 4 spd, 3;31 gears, A/C, 8 track, pwr windows, pwr drv seat, decor group, and firm ride group. PHS doc and I have the orig build sheet. Never rusted w/ pics from resto when sandblasted. All orig panels. It's 1 of 1671 I believe. All parts like manifolds, carbs and dist are date correct. This is not a perfect show winner here. But it's a nice all together car that needs a little tlc and to find the noise in the motor. Well I had AAG a respected appraiser do an appraisal which is compared to national auction prices and sales. The range on the car came in at 40,000 to 50,000 us dollars!!! Does this sound right to anyone?? I thought in mint condition the top was around 38000 for this car. I was about to sell this car for 24000 to someone this week as is and now I'm reconsidering. I know the market is soft and there are alot of deals out there but 40,000? Am I making a mistake? Thanks for any thoughts and info Jim

Last edited by seamus2154; 07-15-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM

What car are you talking about....and post pics.
............and that little tic can be anyting from exhaust leak to valves seatings.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

I fixed my thread, I left out the GTO part! For some reason I can't post photos here or at the Zo6 forum either. If it intrests you PM me and I'll email some pics. The guy who looked the car over has a restoration shop and as he said, we have mabey 3000 dollars and some labor here after he made his offer. Everything is there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Jim,

I uploaded the pictures you emailed to me into your "My Photos:" link under your User Name. Beautiful car and good luck. If you want to post the picture in your post from your gallery, place your cursor on the picture and right click, then select properties and copy the url, then paste the url between the img tag.

example (remove the spaces)

[ img ]https://www.gtoforum.com/photopost/direct_data/514/gto_0142.jpg[ /img ]

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 07-15-2008 at 10:03 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Hey Thanks 05GTO, that was damn nice of you!!! Much appreciated. Respecting your vast knowledge of these cars doesn't this appraisal seem high? Or am I out of touch? I'm wondering if I should button up this car up bfr deciding to do anything. I was looking for the easy way out and to focus on other projects but I'm sure I may be kicking myself later. I just wanted to know if this resto shop owner was fair. He agreed to 24000 pretty quick when he called back. Mabey this is why. Thanks Jim
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

test well it worked, that is the first photo I've gotten to attach!!! Now to improve the size
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto_0051.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	3122  

Last edited by seamus2154; 07-15-2008 at 11:07 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

test
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Seamus, Nice GTO.....Don't feel bad, I still can't figure out how to post pictures...and I'm a genius!!! Eric

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus2154 View Post
As some of you may remember I asked for help trying to diagnos a slight knocking noise. Still not positive but it appears to probably be a wrist pin. New motor for only 300 mls but this is what happened. I started thinking that I'll rip the motor out and start an internal inpection which would take the better part of a day. But then I thought, I have this car for twenty years and since the frame off 7 yrs ago I have 300 mls on it. A damn sin. I have alot of projects that I'm more interested in and mabey I should sell it as is which is w/ the wrist pin but still a new blueprinted motor and a prettyy nice car otherwise but needs TLC and some finishing. So I had it appraised today. It's a #'s matching 1970 GTO 455 HO w/ a 4 spd, 3;31 gears, A/C, 8 track, pwr windows, pwr drv seat, decor group, and firm ride group. PHS doc and I have the orig build sheet. Never rusted w/ pics from resto when sandblasted. All orig panels. It's 1 of 1671 I believe. All parts like manifolds, carbs and dist are date correct. This is not a perfect show winner here. But it's a nice all together car that needs a little tlc and to find the noise in the motor. Well I had AAG a respected appraiser do an appraisal which is compared to national auction prices and sales. The range on the car came in at 40,000 to 50,000 us dollars!!! Does this sound right to anyone?? I thought in mint condition the top was around 38000 for this car. I was about to sell this car for 24000 to someone this week as is and now I'm reconsidering. I know the market is soft and there are alot of deals out there but 40,000? Am I making a mistake? Thanks for any thoughts and info Jim
Wow, that sure makes me feel good. $40 to $50K huh. I will say that yours is equipped damned nice. I wish I had all of those goodies.

I would check into making absolutely sure what the noise is and raise the price. My brother n law bought a 78 Ferrari GTO with less than 10K miles for $12K because the guy thought he'd blown the engine. Come to find out, all the car needed was a tune up. The guy had been putting the car around Las Vegas and fouled out all of the plugs!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Seamus, Nice GTO.....Don't feel bad, I still can't figure out how to post pictures...and I'm a genius!!! Eric
Thanks Eric!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in