Just wondering - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Just wondering

Hi forum members, I have been searching for a GTO project car on eBay, now as some of you might remember I bought a 73 GTO from a a person that I learned after that was a member of this forum, which I found this forum after the purchase, I just wish I would of found this forum first, so here’s what I was wondering how come you never see may 73 GTOs, I see many 64s up to 72s ? I realize the build numbers are low , but where are they ? Just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:53 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafr119 View Post
Hi forum members, I have been searching for a GTO project car on eBay, now as some of you might remember I bought a 73 GTO from a a person that I learned after that was a member of this forum, which I found this forum after the purchase, I just wish I would of found this forum first, so here’s what I was wondering how come you never see may 73 GTOs, I see many 64s up to 72s ? I realize the build numbers are low , but where are they ? Just curious
They are not really desirable - they are boats. Low numbers makes them harder to find in good shape. They are heavy. Not much performance out of the 400CI if you wanted to keep the engine stock for "restoration" examples. Pollution equipped and no one wants that - especially if your state requires it to be intact. Parts are not readily available as you found out and the cost to restore is more than the return in most cases unless it is the even lower production 455's or 4-speed cars.

By 1973, the performance image was just not there as it began to shift towards the Trans-Am.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I am picking up a 1975 GT sport coupe tomorrow .... and selling off parts

if you have any needs .... I think alot of the detail parts changed tho ..

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9210310.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	115585   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9210312.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	115587  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you PJ, yeah, that 73 I bought was a POS, by the time we got to the car it was dark out, and they had it sitting outside, the red flags were flying like a kite, but I was ignorant and couldn’t see the really bad that was hiding, I made a newbie mistake on that one, the 73s do have a unique look and somewhat cool look, I received a rendering picture from a builder and if one bring the bumpers into the body and narrow the closer to the body sides the look sweet, I had a chance of buying Fiberglas fenders, hood, doors and a rear bumper, the thing that kept me from do so was the flooring and windshield rot.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:28 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
'73's get a bad rap, and while down on power, they do have unique one-year styling, are extremely rare, and have a better ride than any other GTO. They make excellent road cars for long trips. A mild 455, AC, some 2.73 gears, and you'll have a fast, comfortable, and unique ride.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Glad to hear that info you shared geeteeohguy on the 73s, the one I had was in really poor shape, the windshield rot was a lot more than I had noticed upon arriving where the car was ( late and dark out ), but I rolled the dice and took a chance, the next day I was doing a better inspection and noticed what I really ended up with, I had made contact with Belden Speed and Engineering and sent them pics of the windshield area and they was very sorry not able to help. I tried parting it out with no interest from no one, car was crushed, parts went to the metal recyclers, it was a sad day.

Last edited by Cafr119; 09-29-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in