User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
LeMans vs. LeMans Sport?

So I am a total pontiac newb, I just sold my 69 El Camino in order to buy this charming 1970 LeMans with the original 350 drivetrain, i noticed it had a couple little badge holes below the lemans badging and so i ran the vin and found out it was a LeMans Sport, now my question is - What is the difference between a LeMans and the Sport? is it just an engine option thing or did they come with beefed up diffs/suspension? thanks! - Andrew (PS. here is a pic of the LeMans!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1949.jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	14479  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Garage
For 1970, Pontiac reshuffled its intermediate lineup a bit with the LeMans Outlaw edition nameplate downgraded to the mid-line sub-series previously known as the Tempest Custom and included two- and four-door pillared sedans, while the previous top-shelf LeMans series was renamed the LeMans Sport in the same three body styles including a four-door hardtop sedan, two-door hardtop coupe and convertible. This year, bigger engines - which had previously reserved for GTOs - were made available on lesser Tempest/LeMans models including a 400 CID V8 rated at 265 hp with a two-barrel carburetor or a 330 hp option with a four-barrel carburetor and dual exhausts. At mid-year the bottom-shelf Tempest line, which initially included only two- and four-door sedans, got a low-price T-37 hardtop coupe which was initially billed as "General Motors' lowest-priced hardtop (undercut by a base Chevrolet Chevelle hardtop coupe introduced a few weeks later). To offer younger buyers a mid-sized muscle car that was less expensive than the GTO, Pontiac offered the T-37 hardtop coupe with a GT-37 appearance package that included striping, three-speed floor shift transmission, tuned suspension and other tinsel. The GT-37 was available with any Tempest/LeMans V8 from the standard 350 two-barrel to the 400 four-barrel. Replacing the Pontiac-built OHC six-cylinder as the base engine for Tempest/LeMans models for 1970 was Chevrolet's 250 cubic-inch inline six-cylinder engine, while the 350 two-barrel was again the base V8 engine and the four-barrel 350 HO was discontinued.

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
The 455 V8 was also an option on the '70-'71 LeMans Sport, and GT-37 and T-37 as well, as far as I know. Basically a GTO without the super high insurance costs!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So they still made a base LeMans but in 70 they renamed the better performance package LeMans the LeMans Sport? sweet, im diggin that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in