User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Let the wife drive the GTO?!?!??

Okay here's the deal, I've owned my GTO for about 20 years and no-one but me has driven it in those years. My new wife has been bugging me to drive it for a while now. Keeps saying she knows how to drive a stick and whatever, so I bought her a classic Beatle and told her to drive that stick instead.
That worked for a while but then she was back at it insisting she be able to drive it, so I took her to a big open parking lot and let her drive it around there even having her stop and do a little burnout or two. Good enough right?? Now she wants to drive it around town!! ARG!! Would you/do you let your wife drive the GTO??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Nothing sexier than a woman driving a classic musclecar. Well, it's a close third.

My wife did drive my 65 Satelite when we were dating but has only driven my GTO once. I let her pull it in the garage and almost had a coronary, both of us. She hasn't asked to drive it since.

I say if she has shown responsibility driving the bug you gave her and can handle it, let her do it. I think it's cool she loves your hobby and wants to be a part of it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My wife has never wanted to drive my GTO because she knows I'm particular about the car and she doesn't want to have to worry about it being damaged on her watch. She has her own car she chose and likes a lot, and I never drive it. We have a third vehicle we both drive. Works out well.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Well, at least your thinking about it. My wife of 35 years knows not to ask... or maybe she really doesn't want to. We have 6 vehicles for the 2 of us... no need to have her driving the GTO.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM

I lost my license for a short span and HAD to let my wife drive mine if I wanted to go out, so she did, and did fine but now that my license is reinstated she gets her old seat back

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I let my old girlfriend drive all my GTO's (had 5 of them at the same time back in the '80's...) and never had a problem. But she was a gearhead. She could drive. My current significant other has driven my current GTO's, but is not really a car person. She'd rather I do the driving. If I were married, and my wife wanted to drive it, I'd make sure the insurance was current and let her. Happy wife, happy life.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I bought my GTO in the early 1980's my wife used to drive it to my kids elementary school to drop off and pick up. My son thought it was great. At the time it had headers and minimal mufflers so it really rumbled. Through the years she drove my '64 Impala
SS 4 speed, a VW Super Beatle, a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (5 speed manual). And a 1976 F150 with 3 on the tree. She loves driving cars with manual transmissions. My GTO is just coming off a 1.5 year frame off restoration and YES, she will drive it. She has been very tolerant through all the restoration process, her name is on the title with mine, the car is fully insured and she can drive it anytime she wants to. Thank goodness she has put up with my 40 years of car collecting.

1966 TriPower, 4 spd, PHS documented.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I met my wife to be the day after we got the new 4sp '67 GTO. She was 17. I taught her how to drive it because we weren't sober a lot on the weekends. In 1994 she bought me the current GTO for our 25th wedding anniversary. In the last 20 years she has driven it twice, to move it out of the garage. But I have no doubt she could drive it any distance she wanted to. Doubt that'll happen.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My Daughter helped me build the car (16 at the time), i take her to the County park and let her drive it, has not had it on the streets yet but she is very respectful of it's power and the time we have in building it. The wife drove it the first week i got it on the road up to the local ice cream places thursday cruise in, on the way up there this idiot turns left right in front of us at a 45 roll, she had to mash the brakes, locked up short and she feathered it and veered just enough to let him get his ass in gear. Needless to say i was overcome with quite a few strong emotions ranging from "catch him...", "I Must have installed the new power disc brakes right...Check", "I hope the insurance check got processed", "#*$... i just painted it". But the overwhelming one was pride in the way she handled it, when we got to the icecream place she tossed me the keys and says, "i'm good". She has always driven my cars since we were 16. Had a ratty FAST nova that she used to always want to take her sister to work in, even though she had a nearly new truck. Come to find out years later that they were racing it up Telegraph road, just for kicks. Either way it's just a possession and they are made to drive and fully insured, stick car is a different story these days but she learned on and prefers to drive a stick so i would have no problem.

I am building her a Fox mustang 5-speed right now, should be a fun change of pace.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM

My wife's suggestion to solve your dilemma - buy her a GTO of her own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in