looking at 1968 gto - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looking at 1968 gto

Ive been considering a 1960's muscle car for a while now and have found a nice 1968 GTO nearby. Im planning on looking it over this weekend.

I have a number of questions:

1. how much value does it lose with non-original #'s matching engine?
2. I have engine codes off GTOALLEY.com...looks like i need to locate the production code on the block on the distributor pad or the casting # behind the #8 cylinder....owner says its all hard to read any suggestions?
3. I need to also find the engine code on the front of the block to make sure its a YS
4. how to i determine the Axle ratio? 3.55? whats common? it has the hurst automatic his/hers

I am planning on having it inspected professionally if it passes my inspection.

Also will check with PHS...i have the VIN# already

I want the car as a high end driver and want to make sure everything is as original as possible...im not sure i want a car w/o the original engine...when i sell it someday i want it to sell easily.

any suggestions are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 AM

any interest in a #'s matching 70?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Sure id be interested in it, but i dont want to purchase a plane ticket to see it

give me some info

I found a 1969 firebird convertible 350ho numbers matching which im also looking at right now.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
Ive been considering a 1960's muscle car for a while now and have found a nice 1968 GTO nearby. Im planning on looking it over this weekend.

I have a number of questions:

1. how much value does it lose with non-original #'s matching engine?
Non matching will drop the value like a rock. That doesn't mean tho that you still can't get good money for a non matching GTO
2. I have engine codes off GTOALLEY.com...looks like i need to locate the production code on the block on the distributor pad or the casting # behind the #8 cylinder....owner says its all hard to read any suggestions?
Yep, that's where they're located. Grab a flashlight and look close.
3. I need to also find the engine code on the front of the block to make sure its a YS
Front of block, passenger side, just below the head. That code will not tell you if it's a numbers matching. YS blocks were used in many years, even in non GTO's. You also need the engines v.i.n. See below.
4. how to i determine the Axle ratio? 3.55? whats common? it has the hurst automatic his/hers
Verify the date code on the backside of the punpkin next to the cover. Should look something like this, D228(D=April, 22, 1968) If it's a '68 you should find a 2 letter code "stamped" on the back drivers side axle tube. The code will begin with a W, Y or Z(Y/Z = safe-t-track). That code will tell you what gear ratio came with the car when new. To verify those gears are still in it, you would want to rotate the tire once(if it's a safe-t-track, twice if not) and count the number of revolutions of the driveshaft. 3 1/2 turns = 3.55 ratio etc.... You can date code the tranny too, ex. 68 PT 1234(for automatics)

I am planning on having it inspected professionally if it passes my inspection.

Also will check with PHS...i have the VIN# already

I want the car as a high end driver and want to make sure everything is as original as possible...im not sure i want a car w/o the original engine...when i sell it someday i want it to sell easily.

any suggestions are welcome
See above....

Engines v.i.n. is located by timing cover passenger side. Given the example below, 2= Pontiac, second 2 = year(1972), P = final assembly plant, 361206 = should match the last 6 digits of the cars v.i.n. If it doesn't, it's not a numbers matching GTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VIN Code.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	5442  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 AM

hey huggytree, i sent you a private message about the 70.if you got it,let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in