Looking at a 1970 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at a 1970 GTO

This is my story thus far, thought I would join a community based around the car I've always loved but was too young to own.

When I was 16 my parents let me drive there car, a 1999 Pontiac Grand AM SE. I pulled out of the driveway and up to the corner. Sitting there was a brilliant muscle car. I asked my dad, "what is that!?" he told me it was a GTO but from before I was born. The lust started there. It was just so pretty in a cherry red sparkling finish, with chrome accents, and the sound; instant love. I knew then and there I would have to own one of these.

A couple years passed and I got my license. I was still driving a Grand AM SE, 2002 though cause the 1999 turned out to be a lemon. I wasn't rich, I'm still not to be honest, but the desire for these cars was still there as strong as ever.

Two years later a friend of mine bought a 1981 Camaro, rekindling my attraction to muscle cars. So I with my thousand a month job went on craigslist. I searched around, found a couple beaters, and then a GTO. 95% restored. 400 cuI 4 speed. new tires. Blue interior. And almost best of all, a primer paint. Sounds good I said to myself. I showed it to my parents and they said you don't need this, but I knew i did.

So, here it stands, my dream car is but a 6000$ loan approval away from being a reality. My only tough choice is what color to paint it.

leave some love and some luck for me

edit: I'm only 20 years old too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the Forum.

20 years old eh? GOOD FOR YOU. What I have seen over the recent years is many younger guys like yourself hedging towards the classics. I have been seeing many youngsters ogling over the classics and more and more driving them. Most kids today don't know what a "real" car is. That 6K investment will yield you some major dividends down the road. Just driving the car and showing it is worth the $$. I just had my first ...... follow me stop me and talk about the car from a fellow GTO enthusiast. You can expect it too.

As far as paint, IMO keeping the paint scheme Pontiac is my preference but sky's the limit on color choices. Don't skimp on the paint job. I see a car from time to time at shows... 1969 GTO with a 1970 Palladium Silver paint job with FAR TOO MUCH metallic on it, just doesn't look right, in my opinion and for my liking, but hey it's what the guy likes. Make the car your car and not someone elses idea of what they think it should be. Now if the car is matching numbers you'd be better off keeping it that way, but its not.

Good Luck with the car, post some pics of it when you get it.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in