Looking at a 65 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at a 65

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and have a couple questions. I have found a 1965 GTO 2 door HT 389/360 4spd Tri-Power 321? posi. It's from the original owner with PS,PB,A/C and 77000 miles. I have not seen the car yet but he (77 years old) says its in great shape and never hurt. He bought the car new here in Oklahoma and its always been parked in the garage. Its been sitting inside under a cover for 22 years and was running when parked. Its blue on blue. He says the interior is perfect. The only mods he has done is put speakers in the doors and added a sun tach and under the dash gauges. It has the center console that needs a new button on the door but thats it! I don't know much about these cars and i'm looking for a good place to start on price. He has no idea what its worth but I want to make him a FAIR offer. I'm going to look at it this weekend. He does not have the car for sale on the open market. He said I have first option. I found the car while looking for an old personalized tag I had years ago. He gave it up for me.

Lets hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks, Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Also, what should I look for as far as engine, trans and rearend codes?
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
No such thing as a 321 Pontiac. It should be a 389, and the engine code should be WS if it's a tripower car. Also, the partial VIN should be on the transmission, on the passenger side. Very hard to see. Rear end codes, casting codes, etc., can be easily found online on various sites, like Wallace Racing. Post some pics and we can come up with an accurate price. Oftentimes cars that have been sitting have serious issues, such as frozen engines, bad brakes, etc. Let's hope not. I myself have a '65 GTO hardtop blue charcoal on blue, 4 spd tripower, and I've enjoyed it since 1982!. Again, PICS and we will be here to assist you.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

It is a 389/360 tri-power. The 321 was the rearend gear so he said. I don't know much about Pontiac rearends. I will post some pics this weekend.

Thanks for the reply!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No 321 rears. Probably meant 3:23. If you can get the vin from him, you can send for the PHS to verify details of the car.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 PM

A 65 GTO with the original 389 tripower, 4 speed, PS, PB and AC with low original miles is a very desirable car. And it also has a nice color combo.
Good Luck!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM

I would like to know how long it's been since the car was a regular driver. I had a similar experience with a 78 year old guy that parked it "a few years ago". The gas was mud, the tank needed replaced, radiator core was toast, water pump replaced, plug wires, hoses, and transmission rebuilt. Brakes, wheel cylinders and other misc needed replaced before I could enjoy it. Got all that done and love it. Point is.....check these things out because you are looking at probably 3k to get it back as a driver. Sounds like a valuable car that would be great to own, just factor all possibilities into your price. Good luck and if you don't take it, I would love to make the four hour drive and pick it up.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya Skurfan. It's been sitting for over 20 years. I don't mind throwing 4-5 grand at the car once I get it. In case any of you are wondering, The car may or may not stay with me. My wife and I both have play cars so I really don't need another one. My dad (72 yrs. old) had one of these he bought new back in 65 so it may just be something I'll let him enjoy for a couple of years the put it back on the market. Thanks for all of the info. As I said, I really don't know muck about these cars. I;ll post some pics this weekend!
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Well I bought the car today. I was incorrect on the miles, it's 72622! The car, after I washed off 22 years of dust is in much better shape than I thought. I haven't tried to start it yet but the motor turns over. When we pulled it out of the garage, there was only a quarter size oil spot on the floor. I would post a few pics, but I can't figure out how??? Any help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in