User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at a '68 Goat

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums, but so far everyone seems really great! My neighbor has a 1968 GTO that has been sitting for 16 years in his outside garage.

I have always had my eye on this car, but I want to make sure it's worth the cost and effort of a project car.

He wants 500$ for it, heres the catch:

-Lost title
-Interior smells of mold
-From what I can tell no major rust spots
-Engine is probably seized
-Wheels look rusty
-Exterior is in decent shape
-Automatic, how hard is it to convert to a manual?

How much money would I have to put into just it to get it running? I would probably strip the interior and put more money into performance.

Any input would be great! Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:35 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the total scheme of automotive restoration, $500 is basically free. Tough to go wrong on that one - a real no-brainer.

Most States have processes to go through in order to replace a lost title. As long as the car is not stolen, you can get a title. Procedures in each State vary slightly, but you should be able to get good info from your local DMV.

You can dump as much money into these things as your wallet and charge card will allow. You can plan on $3500 to rebuild the seized engine (nothing fancy, but a good solid rebuild) and another grand to do the interior work. But if you plan on restoring the car, the interior is the last thing you want to do. If all you want to do is get it running, you can probably make it drivable for under $5k.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM

The labor to convert from an auto to a manual is not going to be your primary cost - getting the parts will be. Many of the parts interchange with a Chevelle. That includes the pedals, most of the clutch linkage and the metal piece (the doghouse) you need for the floor. The manual shifter itself as well as the trans is generic, but the bell housing and flywheel will be Pontiac only. You'll need the correct console as well. By the time you've got the conversion done you'll have earned your stripes as a parts scrounger. But a '68 GTO is worth the time and effort. What color and what interior does it have? Hood mounted tach? Vinyl top?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerno
What color and what interior does it have? Hood mounted tach? Vinyl top?
interior is black

tach is in the dash (pretty sure)

Not sure if its a vinyl top, but the previous owner had a sunroof put in there (which sucks)

I'm definately considering buying the car, just need the cash.

How are these cars as autos? still fun and fast? I'm definately manual shifting type of guy.

With 68's what are some common problems?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM

I'm going to guess, based on only what I've seen, that most of the 68's were autos. The Turbo 400 was a fairly new option on the GTO and was very popular. They came with the Hurst dual gate shifter, which made the automatic pretty decent. With stock tires and a shift kit, you had your hands full if you nailed it at about 30 mph. It was hard to keep it from going about 30 degrees sideways. I had a 68 with the 400 HO motor, which came with the same cam as the standard motor, but had the good exhaust manifolds . On the manuals, you got a 10 degree bigger cam and the manifolds. Mine had a 3:42 Posi and got the bigger cam about a week after delivery. I loved the car, but it left my life for a series of Trans Ams.
I understnd your frustration with the sunroof, but they were really popular additions in the 80's. There are no specific problems with the 68s. They can have the usual rust problems, especially around the rear window where the water puddles under the molding. I think the 68s and 69's were the best looking of the series. The lines were clean and smooth.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

the guy said something about a 400 motor, he really didnt know much but If I remember correctly he said it was out of a firebird or something.

Thanks again for all the help!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Crazed -
All 68 GTOs are 400 cars. The automatics accounted for 51,385 out of the 87,684 priduced in 68, and they were all M-40 (Turbo 400) automatics - a very good tranny.

Conversion to a 4-speed involves the following:

The driveshaft on a 4-speed car is the same as the TH400 driveshaft. The crossmembers are the same for 4-speed and auto. The conversion is simple if you have all the parts. Problem is, not all the parts are available new or reproduction, so you'll have to find a donor car for some parts, and use eBay for others. Chevelles work great for donors.

You will need the following parts. Prices are actual current prices for the noted parts:

A good 4-speed tranny (an M21 is your best bet for availability and affordability). Good M21s are available for about $600-800
A shifter. New Hurst available for about $225
Shift linkage kit. Hurst. $115
Reverse lockout components and linkage. (GM) About $150
Shifter handle (Hurst) $36
Shifter attach plate. $30 from Ames
Floor shift porch (the housing welded to the transmission tunnel). Ames for about $40.
Shifter boot. Ames for about $20
Shifter boot trim plate. Ames for about $20
A Pontiac bellhousing (Chevy is different) with the clutch fork pivot ball. eBay for about $75
Bellhousing cover (GM) $30
Flywheel with bolts (new ones are available). $250 from Summit
Pilot bearing. NAPA for about $12
Clutch & pressure plate. Summit for about $200
Throwout bearing (comes with the clutch kit)
Clutch fork. Lakewood for about $40
Clutch fork boot. Year One for about $15
The complete brake/clutch pedal assembly (this is a complete assembly with a large bracket that bolts up into the car, and the two pedals are hinged on this assembly). Ames Performance for about $100
The clutch intermediate rod. Ames about $45
The Z-Bar (clutch countershaft). Ames $30
Z-Bar frame bracket. Ames. $15
Z-Bar swivel assembly. Ames. $50
Clutch fork pushrod. GM $20
Clutch linkage springs. Ames. $17

Total cost to piece together a system from scratch using new & used parts: $2,335 (not including labor if you have to pay someone to do it).

You can also do a Kiesler conversion for about $3k.

You're better off buying an entire 4-speed donor car if it has all the parts on it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Lars, that's an excellent and informative response. It is easy to forget just how many pieces go into the four speed conversion. Taking the Sawzall to the floor is the test of how committed one is to the conversion.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

hahah ya. I remember when I converted my BMW to a 5 speed. Good fun project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in