1Likes
  • 1 Post By 69Goatee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a bit of help--warm air

I have been struggling to figure out my "warm air" issue. 68 gto, car runs a normal temp of 190. After a bit of driving--like 20-25 min, I get warm (hot) air coming through the heat vent even when the heater is turned off. Removing fuse to see if a short and it still blows warm air. Any Ideas?

Last edited by 68 gto; 08-18-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds to me like a cable or vacuum hose problem......if everything is OFF, no air should blow through any vents...E

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:46 PM

How is the hood to cowl seal, or is it missing? If all of that hot air from under the hood can get past the seal, it will be forced down into the cowl vent at speed. And if your heater flapper doors don't seal as well as they used to then you get hot air all the time when going down the road. I've seen it before, just add or replace the hood seal and the difference is like night and day.

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

69 goatee. Looks like the hood/cowl seal is new. or close to it--no cracks, but i do get hot air as you said when going down the road when car is running at temp. None when sitting still...so you may be on to something, but don't know what.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
If the plenum doors close all the way and the seals are good, you should get no flow until you activate the heater control. The cable ends tend to break at the plastic mounting points, so the control acts normal, but the cable housing moves and not the blend air door. Get under the dash with a flashlight and work the controls and see what's up. Also, the bellcrank at the control head can break or bend, causing the same problem. These cars were designed to last ten years, not 40+, so it's normal for some of these small parts to deteriorate.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

69 goatee...just looking on the web and saw a photo of another 68 engine compartment...noticed that my hood to cowl seal goes straight across and not in the holes where they are intended..actually it is on the medal piece that connects the cowl with the firewall..a little lower than the photo- now,I am thinking the person I got it from, did not install it correctly--net all the hood cowl pre holes are visible and no seal around them ...socould be the issue...as we do get that warm air in the car when driving...will get some photo or directions on how it should be installed..hard to find. thanks for the help...will keep you posted.

Last edited by 68 gto; 08-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM

I agree with Geetee on the door parts and cables. Also you didn't say if it is an A/C car or not. A/C cars have a heater shut-off valve that blocks water from the heater core when temp is set to cool. Non-A/C cars don't have this valve (I think), so hot water is always flowing through the heater core. So, if the doors aren't shutting, then air from the cowl could be forced through the heater system. I have seen everything from leaves, sticks, trash and even a dead mouse stuck in the heater plenums, holding them open.
Jimsgoat likes this.

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

non A/c car.. i will try the hood cowl seal...i found that it is completely missing. the previous owner put a seal on..but it is not in the spot for the hood cowl...it is much closer to the firewall and does not wrap around the entire hood...will let you know...trying that first.
thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in