Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Looking to buy a 66 gto

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tonyli 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking at 1966 GTO 242 vin I ordered the PHS history. It is blue on blue. I wanted a 1967 but found this one. Car is originally a california car. The body is clean with paint job about five years ago. 389 engine has the correct date code numbers for 66. The current owner is claiming it to be a orignal matching numbers car. The engine was rebuilt approximately 10 years ago with a ram air 2 cam has a 1000 miles on it. Other then that car appears to be bone stock. ps, pb, ac, deluxe seat belts front & rear, map lights, bucket seat no console, new carpet and reupolstered seats, dash pad is new but black in color, 389 4barrel carb, pollution pump, stock 308 rear non posi rear. It has two speed on the columb with tilt wheel. Good tires drum brakes all the way around. The only spot I seen that concerns me is the trunk pan it has surface rust but it is also flexible. Should the trunk be solid or little flexible in these cars? what is not operating is the blower for heat and a/c, reverse lights right blinker and of course the original radio. Transmission down shift hard and has a leak for the drive shaft seal. The price is 18k. What you guys think? Should I keep looking? What about the trunk? Thanks

#2 ·
i would get PHS on it to see if it's as stated. Trunk should be solid, the ribbing stamped in it makes it rigid. Is it painted in splatter paint and how fresh does it look? That sounds like a fair starting price with the issues you described, make sure to get under it and look at the floor pans and what you can see of the trunk.

#4 · (Edited)
The body and the paint is very condition . The floor pans look good. My only concern is the trunk pan. I had an estimate of $1,200.00 to replace the pan if needed. It runs and drives good. I just want to make sure I am not over paying for the car. Also I thought it was a decent optioned car because of the a/c p/b p/s & tilt wheel. Most cars out here do not have a/c in the older cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.