Main cap Question. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Main cap Question.

So I picked up a 455 block to replace the 350 that came out of my 1972 Lemans sport. I took the block to a machine shop to have it checked out. I went back a month later (today)to drop off some other parts and he asked where the main caps were. When I told him it didn't come with any he told me it was a major problem and that the block would cost more than it was worth to find new caps and machine because the caps were made specifically for that block. He recomended I find a new block. He said i had payed way too much and i should be able to find a good 455 block for $350-$400.00 he also new a guy who might be able to help me find one. Other than the caps he said the block was in great shape. So my question is do you guys think he's telling me straight? Should I scrap the block and look for a new one with caps or try and find a set of caps that are close and machine them? Thomas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
You can buy brand new caps and have the machine wok done. Not even an issue, just more money. The block is NOT scrap. I would be inclined to check out other machine shops....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
I agree ^ . I would just buy new main caps and use the block you have, if not then you just have a block that can't be used, the machinist said the block was good, why spend more money on another block. However, I'd get quotes from other places and possibly switch to a different machine shop if available.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Time to find another machinist. Working on all those chevys has probably damaged his mental faculties

You could either find a set of main caps from any large journal Pontiac (421, 428, 455) as long as the rear seal and oil slinger matches what's in your block - then have them fit to your block via the align hone/align bore process, or you could get a complete set from places like Butler Performance (which would also need align bore/hone). The latter is pretty pricey for all 5 caps (it would be $630 for a complete set from Butler, but those would be 4-bolt center caps).

You have options - it's not as bad as you've been led to believe.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I don't really know alot about engines but I'm not a complete [email protected]$4 either. I knew it couldn't have been as bad as I had been led to believe. Thanks again guys. Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in