User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Jim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Major Problem

As I was changing the clutch in my 67 I noticed that one of the freeze plugs was leaking on the back of the block. It also looked as if their were a total of three, two high and one centered down lower but above the crank.

Me being the smart guy I am decided to change all three while I was there right, well you guessed it, the lower middle one is not a regular freeze plug. I'm guessing it is were the cam bearing sits. Well, I really F*&^%^ it up. Now I have to pull the engine.

Tell me what it is exactly and is that something I can fix once the engines out without to much problem or have I just cost myself soem major bucks.

Signed

More then Frickin Stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
On two engines I've even seen that cam plug missing causing an extreme oil leak!
That plug is just like a freeze plug only a different size. Because the cam is behind it, you can't pound it in and rotate it like a normal freeze plug. I've used a pry bar to dent the inside lower edge of the plug and then use the opposite side to pry on to 'pop' it out. Or you could drill a couple holes in the plug and using some self tapping screws (grind off the sharp point) screw those into the plug and when they contact the cam they will press the plug out. Be sure not to do this around the sides of the plug as you may catch the bearing with the screw and 'screw' it up. If you've messed up the lip of the block were the plug seals, you could clean up any sharp edges with a die grinder and use a product like machine shops use, a 'sleave retainer' it's like a locktight stuff you apply to the sides of the plug before you pound it back in.

Last edited by Rukee; 11-12-2008 at 08:26 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM

get the brass freeze out plugs,if the middle one is not a freeze out plug you dont have to do it

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I would not drill into the plug to screw anything into it: you may get metal shavings into the cam bearing/oil galleries. You could use a seal puller or a prybar like Rukee says, and take your time. Or, you could weld a washer to the plug, and use a puller on the washer(slide hammer type.) You COULD punch a hole into the center of the plug and use a screw type slidehammer on it. That's what I'd try. Sounds like you've just got a lesson in the school of hard knocks. Welcome to the club!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Good idea about welding a washer on!
But I would not drive a punch through it, the cam is right behind there and will take all the force and could brake the cam retainer in the front of the block.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
You are right on that one. I keep thinking like it's a water jacket!!! You MAY be able to pull it off really carefully.....I dunno.....
Jeff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Jim

I'm afraid with all the friggin pounding I have already put on it I have damaged something. I have already resieded myself to go ahead and pull the engine. I will then go ahead and pull the heads and intake and check the cam and cam bearing, etc.

If money was no object I would just go ahead and redo the engine while I have it out but times are tight. I am just sick over this. What a friggin IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in