1Likes
  • 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
May have a serious problem

One more potential major problem with my 1967 GTO. A couple of months ago I primed the oil pump and was getting oil out of the push rods etc after the engine has not been ran in nearly two years. I am just not getting around to thinking about getting the engine running. So I thought that I would prime the oil system again and see if I was getting oil through my oil line that will run to my oil pressure gauge. Last week I tried to prime the oil system and what I managed to do was to get the oil pump shaft dislocated of off the oil pump. Lucky for me I was able to the the shaft out from the top of the engine. I purchased a new shaft because I managed to damage one end of the shaft. The end that goes into the distributor. So today I installed the new shaft after filing the nubs off of it so it would fit down into the shaft. I made sure that the shaft was in place properly. I decided to once again get the oil flowing so I connected the rod to the oil shaft and spun in counter clockwise with a large heavy duty drill. I got no oil this time. After trying for a few minutes, more than once, I put a screw drive into the top of the shaft, the end that goes into the dist. and turned it. It seemed to turn very hard counter clockwise and it really did not want to turn clockwise at all.. When I turned it clockwise it kind of turned back some like I was winding a rubber band. Took more energy to turn it clockwise than I thought it should. Also turning it counter clockwise took more energy than I think it should.

Remember in one of my other post that I was trying to turn the engine over by hand and was hitting something. That was the oil pump shaft because it had come off of the oil pump and lodged, I guess, in the crankshaft making it impossible for me to turn it over by hand.

So could I have some how knocked the oil pump pickup tube off of the oil pump? What could be causing the oil pump shaft to seem hard to turn?

I am really stumped on this one. I am not wanting to pull the oil pan at all.

If anyone has any idea as to what could be the problem please let me know.

I am just having one major problem after another.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions in this matter.
alan

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Outside temperature will make a difference. As it gets colder, the oil will thicken and make it harder to turn/prime. If using a 3/8" drill to prime, it may not cut it. You probably need a good 1/2" drill motor with lots of torque.

I don't think you would have damaged the pump unless somehow trying to turn the engine over with the oil pump rod jammed up in the crankshaft tweaked the end/shaft on the oil pump.

My experience - even if you get the oil to pump up, you will not sleep at nights and every "strange" engine sound will get you to thinking it is the oil pump and you will be on edge UNTIL you pull the pan and replace the oil pump just to know it was replaced - whether it is good or not.

And IF something were to go south on the engine - you will kick yourself in the butt asking yourself the whole time "why didn't I just replace the $55 pump so I didn't have to spend the $1800 to fix my engine."

Just my experience 'cause I don't have that thing called "Luck."
1968gto421 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in