Met Mr. GTO Yesterday - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Met Mr. GTO Yesterday

In celebration of 50 years of the GTO, our local car show was honored with the presence of Jim Wangers. I was fortunate enough to be able to sit and chat with him for about fifteen minutes or so. The guy is still sharp as a tack and can recall GTO facts and history at will.

The man's importance in GTO history (and therefore Muscle Cars in general) can not be overstated. If he and John DeLorean hadn't broken a few GM rules, the muscle car movement would have evolved entirely different, if at all.

Cheers and Happy Father's Day all!

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
64-67 Expert

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Great news, Chuck. Jim comes to the tiny little Madera, CA show each year and I talk with him each time. Bought a few Royal decals last time, and his book "Glory Days" (a must have) the time before that. He is absolutely a class act and a total gearhead, completely down-to-earth and willing to share his vast knowledge. In my opinion, he is a huge celebrity, and an all around great guy. I asked him about racing the '60 Catalina's with the three speed manual and 5.13 rear gears, and he said the reason for that was it was three on the tree, and the first to second shift was impossible to do while racing....so he put the stiff gears out back, launched the car in second gear, and poweshifted into third pulling the lever straight down. Worked out fine. To me, information like that, from Day One, is priceless!!! Glad you got to meet him.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, he is a nice guy to talk to! I met him and the Late Paul Zazzaraine and both signed my books that I brought to them....Glad you got to meet him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in