mice - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mice

AHHHH mice have found their way into my garage- crawled up under shingle and chewed through the plywood. so upon finding that I took off the car cover and opened the GTO up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR damn varmints had chewed some of the carpet and some foam on the outboard bolster next to the rear seat. So I went and got some ammunition- d-con rat and mouse killer pellets ( which they seemed to really enjoy the first night) 4 mouse traps baited with peanut butter, 4 baited sticky traps and a whole box of Bounce dryer sheets I spread throughout the car. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bad break. Get one of those sound devices that they hate. They will go chew elsewhere.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Bait them before they get to your electrical. Set traps near it but not at it.
I know a woman who had them get to her wiring in her vet and it cost thousands. Try moth balls around the outside of the garage too.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks like you got it about covered. They love to store D-Con in all kinds of fun places. Then when they die and you can't get at them, they stink like something fierce for a while..... That's the only down side to D-Con. Works good tho.... Just make sure your pets can't get at it.... The traps with the plastic pan that looks like cheese work much better than the metal ones. More sensitive. They like to lick the peanut butter clean off the metal w/o setting the trap off.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Ooooh that sucks bro...try some of those sticky traps by the doors. And if you are storing the car put it on jackstands with the stands in a pan of oil. Also might consider putting steel wool in your exhaust to keep them out of your system. I'll never forget firing up the car and sending out a flaming wad of mouse nest and fur. I've got a big field behind my house so it's a constant battle in the winter to keep them out of my house and cars. Just be sure to keep the poisons out of reach of the pets and chilluns.

Last edited by ALKYGTO; 01-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a rat/mice problem in my shed. Poison pellets seems to work pretty good. In the house we have 2 cats so we almost never see any mice or evidence of. The garage is internal to the house. In there I do find mouse dropping now and again but not a big problem. And I haven't ever found anything in my Lemans. I would think the cats do the best job.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I'm allergic to cats. Just domesticated vermin to me......
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Okay, all good suggestions. A couple more: a bar of Irish Spring soap is supposed to work, they hate the odor. For a safe killer, oatmeal mixed with quick set plaster with some raisins thrown in works well. They eat the mix and die very quickly, but do not leave toxic corpses. I have a friend with a mint condition '56 Lincoln MKII that had a rat get in and chew his dash, seats, doorpanels, and headliner. All leather, all original, and all mint. He had to sell his Harley to get the interior redone: $18,0000 was the cost.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM

I've heard that peppermint oil works, but I have not tried it myself. I had one get in my GTO and make a nest under the spare tire with the jute padding behind the seat. D-con got rid of that bastard.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I have a friend with a mint condition '56 Lincoln MKII that had a rat get in and chew his dash, seats, doorpanels, and headliner. All leather, all original, and all mint. He had to sell his Harley to get the interior redone: $18,0000 was the cost.
You would have thought insurance would have covered it. Good question, I wonder if there is a provision for mice. You would think it would fall under something.......Hmmmmm......

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in