User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mini starter

Hello,
I took the forum advice and purchased a Summit High-Torque mini starter for my 68 gto with hot start problems. I disconnected my remote soleniod and hooked up the mini starter directly. Once I drove it for a while and got the headers nice and hot, I tried to start it back and it turned over (where before it would just click when it was hot) it did turn over slowly and eventually start. I drove it again for another 25 minutes and killed it, it would start back, but it turned over several times. Do I need to hook the remote soleniod back up or leave well enough alone. All help is appreciated. I am also going to add a heat shield. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you're going in the right direction. Ifn' it wuz me, I'd probably put on a shield just to try to protect the starter from an early heat-induced death. As for the rest, it's up to you --- if it starts when you need it to, you're ok

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Check BOTH your battery cables.....positive for good connection and heat damage. Negative for the same. make sure all connections are clean and tight....Eric

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Just FYI.....the fellas on PY forum are putting together a "group buy" for some Newly designed and updated Robb Mc starters.....Great Product!!...check it out! E

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Check BOTH your battery cables.....positive for good connection and heat damage. Negative for the same. make sure all connections are clean and tight....Eric

1964 400 4 speed Roller cammed RoadRacer
1969 400 T400 auto 2nd owner
2004 LS1 6 speed modded for roadracing
1966 GTO Altered wheelbase former 1970s show car
1973 Challenger 360/727
1931 Ford Model A
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May have already done this , but purchase cables that are a 2 or 1 guage size,and buy them pre-made. Do not use the clamp-on temporary post ends !!! They do not conduct power thru the entire cable as well a factory made cable. Oreillys carrys a borg-warner(BWD) cable that can be purchased in the proper length to match what your using now,in the bigger cable size.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Just FYI.....the fellas on PY forum are putting together a "group buy" for some Newly designed and updated Robb Mc starters.....Great Product!!...check it out! E
I'm a big fan of the RobbMC starter and also the company. They build very high quality parts, and they're great to deal with - very fair-minded. I'm running one of their starters, in-line fuel filter, dual-mode fuel pressure regulator, and one of their "big" mechanical fuel pumps.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in