the money...for pete's sake the money these cars take - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the money...for pete's sake the money these cars take

I'm glad I like this car without even driving it....some of you are way deeper than me. but I'm staring at 10 grand in receipts not including the cost of the car and many tools purchased to assist in the cars progress. and I haven't done paint, trim, the new front end, or some glass work. no power windows yet, no console yet, will need a new hood most likely, gotta find some rear tail lights.

I hope I never lose interest

in hindsight, I've got over 20 in my 03 cobra....so...ya

just wondering what you all have into your cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have 6g in buying the car 17 years ago, and another 10g in the self restoration done on `07. That's not counting any of the 6 weeks @ 8-12 hrs/day labor. So, I'd say I'm sitting pretty good at this point.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I have $4800 in my '65 GTO bought 29 years ago, including engine/trans overhauls in the early '80's and paint work in the mid '80's. This includes the price of the car, which was $1200. It's a real tripower/4 speed/gauges car. I have about the same amount into my '67 GTO, including two repaints and an engine overhaul, and two tranny rebuilds. Purchase price in '83 was $1800. Neither car has been restored or out of service since new. I'm glad I was into these cars when I was young.....it would be hard to afford them now!! A friend of mine just spent over 10 grand on just a paint job for his '65 GTO...things have sure changed.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So how long does a 10 thousand dollar paint job take?

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I'd hate to know the answer to that question.

I was debating about going after a newer viper as I've wanted a viper all my life, but stumbled on this car and thought, I can do this for cheaper.....I'm only 15k off from my viper I was looking at. wondering what I can get out of a nice restomod once it is a little further along....hoping 12-13 without paint or more with paint.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
November of '11 will be 3 years I purchased my '70. I have in it as of now over 11K in parts and some labor, most of the labor is from friends, factor in a hundred or so for beer and eats.. Still not done.

I guess I am in the accelerated Git R Done program.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by facn8me View Post
So how long does a 10 thousand dollar paint job take?
It lasts as long as the tears keep flowing.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Sometimes I think it would be better to just spend 20K on a cherry car. Let someone else loose the blood, sweat and benjamins. A resto project is like an anchor on your bank account.

I especially hate spending money on things that you can not see. I am 3K in and the car looks the same. I figure another 8K to make it look decent with a cheap paint job.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
The ten grand paint job took over two years (was promised to take 3 months). This was a straight california car that needed no floor or trunk work. Needed wome metal repair in the windhield channel and in the back window lower chanel. No rust or dents in any of the panels, and all panels original. In fact, an original paint car. Good door gaps, excellent body fit....never hit or wrecked. The job had to be redone because it was not color sanded before the clear was applied, so the paint looked like crepe paper. Also, the clear never got hard, so you couldn't toch the car, or you'd leave marks and prints. It's all "done" now, still in pieces, but nice and shiny (way too shiny for me....like wet glass). I'm trying to help the owner get motivated again to put the car back together. The paint on my '65 is starting to show its age, and I think I'm going to have to man up like some of the folks on this forum and redo it myself.....I can't go without my car for 2 years!!!
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotyorgoat View Post
Sometimes I think it would be better to just spend 20K on a cherry car. Let someone else loose the blood, sweat and benjamins. A resto project is like an anchor on your bank account.
wiser words never spoken (or typed). people think they can buy an old car for 5000 or less and a do it yourself restoration and be sitting pretty for less than 10 grand. then five years, 10 grand, and a completely disassembled car later and still no car to ride in. buy one already done nicely and ride the same day.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in