My 1970 GTO history with some questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 1970 GTO history with some questions

Hey everyone, my name is Scott and my dad and I are the proud owners of a 1970 triple black 4-speed Goat! We've had the car for 12 years and bought it right after a complete frame-off restoration. I'm currently 20 years old, so this was the car I grew up on...stirring up a love for classic (and modern) American Muscle! I've had lots of good memories in that car...all the thumbs up from passing drivers, dad laying down two dark strips of rubber as we pull away from the house while my mom just stood there shaking her head, learning the basic ins and outs of how to work on a carbureted motor, learning how to drive stick on it, etc. My dad recently passed away at the age of 58 in September. He fought an 8 year long battle with cancer and it finally got the best of him. This GTO not only symbolizes the lasting memories I will have of him, but it's something that helped me build a strong bond with my dad. Unlike my dad, I'm not too much of a sports guy (although I do like football) so this car was something we could both enjoy together.

Anywho, now that I'm the proud owner of this GTO I want to maintain and drive it as much as possible. Putting a list together of stuff i want to do/needs to be done on the GTO looks a little like this:
Needs a tune up--spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change, carb/choke adjustment, (am i missing any other key components on a tune-up??).
Needs new tires (still running on the same tires we bought it with 12 years ago ) Rears are 275/60R15 and Fronts are 215/70R15. Are these stock size tires? I don't think so, but if you have any recommendations for tire brands and/or sizes throw them out there.
Inspect sway bar bushings.
Replace the diff fluid to keep the Posi happy.
Also, once it's warm and I turn it off, sometimes I go to restart it and nothing happens. Turn the key and I get no cranking, almost as if it's dead. After a few more on and off cycles it'll crank and start right up. I'm thinking it's the mechanism in the steering column not picking up when the key is being turned. Input on this would be appreciated as well!
Anything else you guys recommend as preventative maintenance??

I look forward to your input and any advice you guys have for me. :

1970 GTO - Triple Black - 400 - 4-speed - Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust

Last edited by scott's6.0; 11-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and a picture of course!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	29161

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Replace the points and condenser, all rubber vacuum and fuel lines (both at the pump and at the tank), change the fuel filter in the carb, trans fluid and fill the grease fittings on the front steering links and on the u-joints on the driveshaft. How long has that brake fluid be in there?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your dad, he sounds like he was a great guy. More power to you to keep the GTO and fond memories active. I would install new coolant, points and condenser, plugs, and all fluids, including the brake fluid. That's about it. Your no start is probably high resistance in the ign. switch circuit. Pretty common. Not too easy to fix. You can install a jumper wire switch at the solenoid to verify if this is, indeed the issue. Next time it does a no start, hit the jumpered switch, and if it starts, you have too much resistance somewhere in the ign switch circuit. In my '67, it was the purple wire right at the switch. But it can also be a bad neutral safety switch or starter solenoid. Your tires are not the stock size. Your car came with bias ply's originally. Check out Coker Tire or any of the usual places for tires in your current size, if you like the way they look and work. Also, we're here to help, so if you need anything, please feel free to ask and we'll do our best. Congrats on the beautiful car.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. The GTO has been kept up pretty well over the years. With my grandpa, my dad, and myself doing the simple things (plugs, carb adjustments, points and condenser, belt, etc. More complicated jobs are left to the professionals. Luckily we have a local shop who specializes in muscle cars and has been in the business for over 40 years. Brake fluid is only about a year old, along with new disc brakes up front and new drums in the rear. Coolant is the same story, full flush about a year ago with a new water pump and radiator. She had a mini-overhaul about a year and a half ago which includes, but is not limited to, the engine being taken out for a complete refresh (internal and external) and the engine bay being re-painted.

Greasing the bushings, steering links, and u-joints slipped my mind, thanks 68GTO4004-speed.

And thanks for the info on the ignition switch geeteeohguy! I figured it was some kind of electrical gremlin. Will investigate further when I have some more time.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Unless you're concerned about keeping the motor 100% original I would consider replacing your points ignition for HEI. Way hotter spark, more reliable, less maintenance, and not too difficult or expensive of a swap.

"You Gotta Have Fun When You're Little!!"
-Dick Schindler

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I respectfully disagree. The only benefit of HEI is not having to maintain the system. Points need to be replaced every 15,000 miles, but are far more reliable. How long does it take you to put 15,000 miles on the car. For me, points last for years these days. HEI can put out more voltage, but it isn't needed to produce optimum power. An HEI swapped into a points engine, all else being equal, will show no improvement in power. That said, a LOT of folks like HEI and go that route, and it works for them. Me, I actually enjoy tinkering with the old stuff, so points it is.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I am not looking to do a HEI swap. Everything on the car is original with the exception of a Flowmaster exhaust system (which I hope to swap out for a different exhaust system at some point). Plus, we've had no problems with the good ol points. We usually only put around 3k miles per year on the car anyway.

On a side note, I'm not too concerned about the cars performance, as it is fine for me. I use it as more of a cruising car because of the old suspension and steering set-up. Let's be honest, these cars were meant to go fast in a straight line, not take a highway on-ramp at 50mph. Don't get me wrong, the occasional 0-100 sprint is always fun and she's more than up to the task of keeping a young kid in a Honda in check...but at the end of the day it's a good car to cruise in.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Let me add my condolences on the passing of your dad. It sounds like he gave you a good foundation on which to build (and I'm not just talking about muscle cars). You sound like an articulate and intelligent young man.

As GeeTee stated, at first glance your starting problem sounds more like a resistance issue. Another thing to consider, if you just get a "click" at the starter, is the solenoid. The contact disc in the solenoid gets corroded over time and can increase resistance to the point where it does that. It's a free fix to remedy it, but it does take a half hour or more to get to it, get it out and apart. Once you do, flipping the disc over and turning the contact post 180 degrees fixes it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words Chuck! I also appreciate your input. When the no start issue occurs, nothing happens. No clicking, no cranking, come to think of it I don't even know if the GEN light on the dash lights up...I'll have to check next time it happens.

I've had it out the past couple weekends and it hasn't acted up in a while (knock on wood). Now watch, I probably just jinxed myself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in