User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My '65 Tri-Power Purchase....

Hey all,
Been a huge '65 fan for a long time and this weekend I pulled the trigger. Was @ the Mecum Auction and was trying to decide on one of the 3 '65 Tri-power cars that were part of the "Zeb Morris Estate"...after having several discussions with the gentleman who was overseeing the disposition of these cars I decided on the Yellow car. It turned out it was the only one of the three that was a "Real Tri-Power" car, the other two had been switched since birth.....now my question, I always thought that the "Real" Tri-power cars were worth substantially more than those that were changed, shall we say, in mid-strecth....? What say you? The car is numbers matching, 4-speed, and it has had a very nice restoration done. Very much looking forward to getting this baby home and going through a couple of sets of tires....
Scott...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Garage
Congratulations on your new ride. How bout some pics....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM

x 2 need pics

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Real, born-with tripower cars are worth about 30 to 50% more, all else being equal. They just did not make that many. My '65 is a real tripower car, and I've owned it for 29 years. I've had 9 GTO's (still have 2!), but my blue charcoal '65 is the only one that was a real tripower car....one of the reasons I've never parted with it. Just like SS El Caminos, Z-28 Camaros, and '32 Fords, there are more on the road now than were ever made by the factory. Real ones are worth more. Enjoy your "new" ride. '65's are great cars!!!! My biggest gripe is that I've never owned a GTO with a power rear antenna....my buddy who's had 15 GTO's has never had one either!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Garage
I think you would be hard pressed to extract 30-50% more from a buyer for an originally equipped tripower car. Yes- it adds value but 50%? Just my opinion.
Old Cars guide estimates 20% going from HT to Convert? Your saying Tripower is a larger increase?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Hard to say. I think a tripower, 4 speed hardtop would bring more than an automatic 4bbl convertible, but it's all dependant on the market at that time. Historically, real tripower cars bring 30% -50% more, but usually for the "go fast" equipped cars with 4 speeds, posis, rally gauges, and the like. Color combo has a lot to do with value, too. A black car or a red car will usually bring a premium over a beige or white car. It's all relative. Sometimes, a tripower car can be had for less than a similar 4 barell car depending on the seller, buyer, etc. I have seen undocumented cars go for far higher prices than their worth at the auctions, where hype and competition among bidders is high. The best deals seem to be from private owners in the want ads. Back in the early '80,s, tripower cars were worth only slightly more than 4 barrel cars, and you added 10% for a four speed, 5% for gauges, etc. Nowadays, it's a bigger jump. It all depends on the particular car, how nice it is, and what it's options are.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Congrads on your purchase. Only trouble buying form Mecum though is the sellers AND buyers fee. I think they charge 6% from each side!

I would definitely agree that a factory born tri-power would command a little more money, but not sure it would be a huge amount. After all, the highly modified tri-five chevys for example still command big money even though it's not original stuff in the car. For me, I would likely pay equal for a 64-66 GTO had the Tri-power added later or a factory equipt setup, assuming condition-wise both cars were the same.

Dave Harris

1958 Buick Special 2 Door Riviera
1964 Pontiac GTO Post Coupe
2012 Shelby GT500 convertible
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
64-67 Expert

Tri-5 Chevies are a whole 'nuther subject...like '32 Fords. They appeal to a different market, and modded ones can command a premium. Remember, '32 Fords and tri-5 chevies were regular passenger cars that got modified. Nothing special (except the power pak and fuelie Chevies, and those would be worth a lot less if modified) Not so with muscle cars. Modified muscle cars are always worth less money. They were "somehing special" when new, and original, high option cars are the ones that bring the most coin today. From what I've seen, a clean '65 GTO 4bbl will bring around 30k, and the same car with tripower and a 4 speed (if it was built with it originally) will pull down about 42-45k. I agree, if your out to enjoy the car, bolt in or on whatever you want to. I've had tripowers on a lot of GTO's that originally came with 4 barrel carburetion. Nothing wrong with that! I would NEVER pay a tripower price for a 4bbl car, though....I'm too cheap. IF you want a tripower car and you're on a budget, buy the clean 4v car for 30k, bolt on a 1.5k tripower, and enjoy your ride for 12k less money. But don't expect to sell it for tripower money....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Garage
Stand in line here to kick me. In the early 80's I sold my 65 convert 4-spd real cheap cuz I didnt have two nickles to rub together at the time. That was my first GTO. Then there was a 69 from NC. Now I'm on #3 being a 65 HT 4-spd
with power antenna. They are all great ones.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM
64-67 Expert

No kicking here. As long as you don't sell this one! A good friend of mine had a '65 4 speed hardtop back in the early '80's that he sold for cheap. I had my '65 4speed back then, too. In the early '90's, his wife fell in love with my GTO and bugged him to "get another one". He found and restored a very nice '65 4 speed. In the mid '90's, he got greedy, and sold it for top dollar: 11,000. I still held on to my trusty old '65. Inthe mid 2000's, he MISSED his old '65 GTO's....both of them. He went to get another....and couldn't afford it. The happy ending is that he found a one-owner, always garaged '65 LeMans, and he ended up "cloniing" it into a "GTO". It's not a "real" GTO, but it's super clean...it has the nicest interior I've ever seen in a '65, and it's 100% original. He's running a 389 and a 4 speed with a 3.36 posi, and it sure DRIVES like a GTO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in