My 66 Tempest that escaped the crusher. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 66 Tempest that escaped the crusher.

I just picked up an amazingly solid 66 tempest for a junkyard price. The car has been sitting for 6 years and hasn't ran in ten. The frame was sandblasted and repainted. The motor is sitting where it's supposed to~and thats all it does. The body is very straight and solid except for the trunk which was cut out. All trim and interior is there except for the front seats. The black paint is all original and so is the interior.

I have a soft spot for the GTO and I would like to turn this car into a clone. My family has some history drag racing a gold/black vinyl top 67 GTO years ago so thats what I would like to re-create. From what I understand; I will need to change the front bumper, turn signals, tail lights and install some GTO badges in order to make the transition. Anything else?

I'm not going to do a complete restoration to this car but pretty close. I have rebuilt several wrecked late model cars but this is my first classic. I will not let this car sit in my garage for 5 years while I mess with it. I have several employess to do body work and I expect to have this car up and running within a few months.

Ebay has some of the parts I need but what is the best website to visit for upgrades such as disc brakes with a booster and a painless wiring harness? Maybe some seats and a tail light conversion? New carpet? Headliner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 AM

Garage
i would run it is as is there is to many gto clones
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Congrays on your find, and welcome to the forums!
Lots of parts on e-bay, also check with AMES, yearone, the parts place inc . com, the paddock, opgi.com.
I just did a near complete resto on my `65, took about 6 weeks doing it all myself.
Post some pics of your project when you get a chance.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You will also want to add the walnut dash inlay, door panel badging, and a few other cosmetic features.....all are available. Good luck with your project!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Wow Rukee thanks so much for the help! OPGI seems to have everything I could ever need. Looks like I'll have to sell a few cars to turn this Tempest into my dream GTO but it will be well worth it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yes it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in