My dads 1970 GTO - Stock - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dads 1970 GTO - Stock

I think it's about time me and my dad restored his 1970 GTO.

Quick backstory. My dad's owned his GTO since 1971 as the 2nd owner. I had always been obsessed with it and bought my own 1970 GTO after high school. Fixed it up a bit and sold it for a 2005 GTO so we'd have one new and one old in the family. Ended up buying a condo and having my daughter so sold that car.

Now my dad is retired and i'm trying to encourage him to restore his GTO.

Here's the deal. It's a 1970 Pontiac GTO with the 4 speed 400 motor.

It's only got 72,000 miles on it! Numbers matching unmolested car!

Always garage kept and driven between April - August in Wisconsin.

It's got power steering, power disc brakes, hood tach, and the rare " VOE- Vacuum operated exhaust mode" tiger button

My dad has always babied this car and never beat on it or driven farther than a few hundred miles at a time.

Problem is he has lost his interest in it and just plans on leaving it to me.

I'm trying to convince him to restore it with me. He has great mechanical abilities and i'd love to work on the car with him now that i'm older and ready for it!

Any advice/tips etc?

The car runs great still. No problems at all. Drives like it came off the showroom floor. The interior still looks brand new as well except for the back panel where the speakers go.

It really only needs some body work from a little rust, paint, and maybe a go over of the engine??

I'll get more pics soon. Here' a quick pic I snapped with my phone. Last year for fathers day I bought him a new bumper since my old 70 had one. It's the only thing he's changed to the car, but he kept the stock bumper for restoration purposes!

-Tommy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30671_1405363388217_1656384854_965499_2928610_n.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	10448   Click image for larger version

Name:	30671_1405371788427_1656384854_965509_7918759_n.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	10449  

Last edited by blue_gto_70; 03-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. Very nice. As far as your dad, tell him what you're telling us. If he knows how much you want this to be a father/son project, I bet he'll come around.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I've been nagging him to redo it for years. Now I am more serious about it than ever!

I'm afraid as the years go on, the car will be harder and harder to restore. It's only been driven 10-20 miles a year for the last 5-8 years. He just warms it up to change oil and check for problems.

I'm thought buying him the bumper would get him motivated. I'm looking to buy him the VOE mufflers to maybe help spark his fire again They are expensive though! dang

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_gto_70 View Post
I've been nagging him to redo it for years. Now I am more serious about it than ever!

I'm afraid as the years go on, the car will be harder and harder to restore. It's only been driven 10-20 miles a year for the last 5-8 years. He just warms it up to change oil and check for problems.

I'm thought buying him the bumper would get him motivated. I'm looking to buy him the VOE mufflers to maybe help spark his fire again They are expensive though! dang
if hes not motivated dont tear it down. i have seen too many unfinished restorations sitting around. its a lot of work.
i would just accumulate the parts to restore it in the future and leave it at that.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 AM

I would start collecting all of the parts that need to be replaced/freshened up first, and then have the body repainted. When the paint and light duty body work is done, put your freshened up trim pieces on it and get it back on the road ASAP.

Trust me, tearing a car down and building back up is one frustrating ordeal, especially if it doesn't really NEED to be done. My opinion is to keep it as simple as possible. Especially on a nice handling survivor like your dads.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post

I would start collecting all of the parts that need to be replaced/freshened up first, and then have the body repainted. When the paint and light duty body work is done, put your freshened up trim pieces on it and get it back on the road ASAP.

Trust me, tearing a car down and building back up is one frustrating ordeal, especially if it doesn't really NEED to be done. My opinion is to keep it as simple as possible. Especially on a nice handling survivor like your dads.
I have a 69 GTO that was my daily driver for several years, until I decided I too was going to do a "total frame off" restoration because I really wanted the car to be "perfect". It is now 25 years later since I tore it down, and I'm just now approaching the point where I may actually be able to finish it. Thats a whole lot of time that I could have been enjoying it, that I'll never be able to get back.

I don't know what magic words to give you to get your dad interested. The best suggestion I can make is what others have said, sit down with him and talk about it. Tell him that you're really interested but you can tell that he doesn't appear to be, and ask him why that is?

At the very least, the two of you ought to come out of that experience being a little closer to each other, and that's a good thing.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Whew.... 25 years. Yeah, that's rough. I'm five years into a truck build and I'm finally nearing the end of having the chassis and engine completely finished. Then I have body work to start on.

Seems like it never ends. Start out excited beyond all belief, and then slow down because after a while spending, spending, spending, spending, and more spending takes some of the wind out of your sail so ya decide to slow down for a few months. A year or so later start up again only to repeat the same process.... All the while dealing with car parts EVERYWHERE.

I won't start on my LeMans until I have everything I need to get thing past the initial goal, and that is make the thing drivable. I'll worry about "pretty" after that. Tearing them completely down takes a day. Putting them back together seems to take a lifetime.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM

What is there to restore? Its a survivor, leave it as is and just make it drivable if it isnt now. If it is, then dont mess with it. 72k isnt much mileage for a 70, and I wish mine looked that good even after I painted it.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

You guys have good advice.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with it. It drives, sounds, handles, and looks great form a distance. My dad's just always talked about redoing it so it looked nicer.

Now that i'm 26 years old I thought it would be fun to do.

Maybe I can convince him to get it insured this year for the road so we can go to some car shows and get some ideas and such.

I'll post more pics soon. Only guys like you here can appreciate how well it's been taken care of it's whole life. I still can't believe how nice the interior is and how well it handles and drives for having no work done to it
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Here's a quick little video I threw together quick.

All 3 of the GTO'S we've had/have

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in