Pontiac GTO Forum banner

My GTO beginnings!

9K views 93 replies 15 participants last post by  Anderslober 
#1 ·
Hello Forum....I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1968 GTO convertible. I feel pretty lucky that I was able to get it. The caris in kinda rough shape....needs a lot of TLC.

Here is a picture or two...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Looks like a great foundation and nothing is more fun than going topless. :yesnod:

Lot of info here on the forum in which ever way you decide to build the car. Put together a plan of attack, be patient, and don't expect to rebuild it on a shoestring budget and get discouraged - do it right and do it once. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Welcome as well.....When I see a car like this, I often wonder when was that magical moment when it crossed the threshold from its original beauty to the condition its in....Realizing it doesn't happen at once, never the less, its a continuous downward spiral until it either goes to scrap or is saved by someone with the strength & desire to bring it back and restore its dignity....Remembering these cars when they were new... a 69 Verdoro Green Conv., perhaps with a parchment interior....Absolutely stunning......Keep the faith....

#6 ·
Just a QQ.....regarding front bushings......how do you know if you have oval or round bushings? I would like to buy a front bushing kit, but I dont know if the car has round or oval control arm bushings. (I have not seen the car with my own eyes yet...)

#13 ·
My GTO was picked up today. The anti_rust process starts.

I did a small engine service...i was very nervous that the engine was stuck...it turned fine with a breaker bar!....inspected and cleaned all plugs, checked oil/coolant, new battery..put some fuel in the bowl/carb...the animal started on the very first crank!! Shock!

#26 ·
I don't think you can upload a video directly to the forum. I believe other members upload the video to YouTube and then add a link from the forum to the YouTube video. I am not too good with this kinda thing. There may be other hosts other than YouTube?

Car is looking good and you are moving right along. :thumbsup:

#29 ·
55000 miles or so. Sadly the original engine is long gone. I actually tried to find it, based on some knowledge from the former owner. No luck.
The engine is a period correct 68 WZ code. The former owner said something about `warranty replacement unit`...I am just happy its a real 400\4sp, high comp engine....and it puuuurrrs! Some shots.......

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.