My gto. My best friend. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My gto. My best friend.

Well, here I am. An awkward 15 year old gearhead with a few good friends, no girlfriend to be found, and a 1965 gto project. No, this isn't a story of my childhood, yes I really am 15. Everything above is true. My pride and joy truly is my gto. It's gotten me through the hardest breakup of my life, being one of the only gearheads at school, and the only one who has a mean car like that. Well, as it goes, I'm supercharging my car, rebuilding the engine myself, and doing all restoration myself. Even my best friend thinks I'm in too deep and pride my work too much. I laugh and tell him even if I get disappointed I still got him to help me through it. And yea, I got a few girls interested but no one I really done took a shining to. I love my goat. That's all there is to it. She's a real 65 gto and I can't say enough good things about it. Anyone else got similar stories? Postin this thread so people can tell about their goats and how try fit into their lives. Feel free to post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I purchased my 66 GTO in 1972, when I was a teenager. It was my first car and it certainly changed my life for the better.

So much, that I still have it, 42 years later!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
That's awesome. How about some photos?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
If you can find a girl that says I don't need a ring go ahead and buy that intake manifold instead that one is a keeper otherwise take a pass or you will never finish that car.

If it's got tits or wheels its gonna give you problems.
Choose wisely.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Garage
Kinda what Goat Roper said... God created both of these things to give man something to do. Oh, then he created beer. Not sure what kind of girl a 15 year old with a 65 GTO in 2015 gets these days, but for sure there are some gals in their mid 60s that will be digging you and your car. Seriously, best wishes to you on both of your projects. Matt

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:29 PM

I remember buying my first car which was a 69 GTO, I was fresh out of high school and got me a factory job, it seemed that I was on top of the world. But I did a stupid thing and sold it because I kept going through trannys and rear ends. Glad too see young guys such as yourself taking an interest in the old muscle cars. They will not make them with the same lines as they did in the past, girlfriends can come and go with no control, but you have control of whether the goat goes or stays. I now bought my second 69 GTO, and with the help of these fine folks, we are in good hands. Lets keep these old goats kicking. Good luck keep us posted.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
WOW, the words of a true motorhead. I remember I didn't want to learn how to drive. It scared the hell out of me. But my dad took me into an empty parking lot and he showed me how to shift the 3-on-the-tree on the 283 powered '65 Impala. Soon my folks let me take the car out on the road while one of them rode shotgun. Got my license and recall my first "solo" in the car. At first, it was "freedom", just being able to take off and cruise. Then I got comfortable and it was being able to snatch that column shift from first to second gear in a power shift instant (had to have just the right wrist snap). I remember opening up the car on the highway and watching the sheet metal on the hood vibrate -it was so cool, and my brother thought so too. We had a 1971 Pinto, 1600CC engine and 4-speed. I got to chirping second gear on a good power shift with it.

The combination of "freedom" and the fun of the powershift got me hooked and soon I bought my $150 1956 Pontiac at 16 (but did not get it on the road until 17) which was 19 years old then. I learned to do bodywork and mechanics with that car. Learned how to smoke the tires on that car, and I do mean smoke, not chirp. The more I beat it, the better it ran. The 4speed hydramatic trans was a blast to manually downshift & upshift. Boy would that loose front end bounce as I would gas it and let off. Made everyone think I had a really hot car! Then I got a 1967 Firebird, and it had a beefed up 350CI and 3speed. That's when racing came into being, along with endless burnouts, and my favorite-powershifting.

What I learned 40 years later is that the car is an extension of who you are, your personality, your joy, your frustrations.......your emotions. Your ego and your car become one. You develop a bond with your car, whatever it may be.

The car pleases you. Women, well, you are supposed to please them -good luck with that one. The car doesn't ask anything of you and never complains. Women will ask everything of you while still complaining it isn't enough or right. You can figure out your car's needs. You will never figure out a women's needs. The car will retain its beauty from the day you meet it. Women lose their beauty a few years after the day you met them. If your car has a problem, you can fix it. If a woman has a problem, she doesn't want you to fix it, she only wants you to listen (even if you can fix it). You would give up your car for a women. What would she give up to give you a car? If taken care of, the car will be around for a lifetime. With women, there is no guarantee they will be around for a lifetime even when you do take care of them.

So what's my point? Looking back, if I had kept the cars, they would have still been around long after all the women have gone. Men and their cars, its only natural.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank all yall for the great replies. I'll be sure to keep posting updates on the car for sure. One thing I left out that I've found is that no one believes me when I tell them the amount of hp my car is going to give off. Most of em don't know how to do an oil change, never mind calculate hp on an engine souly based on specs I have jotted down. I laugh and tell em they'll have to wait and see. And see they will. I cannot wait to be rowing through the gears of my 4 speed, picking up street races now and then, and takin her to the drag strip. She WILL NEVER, EVER be sold. I made that promise the day I bought her and I garuntee I'll never break that promise. When I get more parts, I'll be sure to post pictures of the current project upkeep. Keep on roddin folks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
What I learned 40 years later is that the car is an extension of who you are, your personality, your joy, your frustrations.......your emotions. Your ego and your car become one. You develop a bond with your car, whatever it may be.

The car pleases you. Women, well, you are supposed to please them -good luck with that one. The car doesn't ask anything of you and never complains. Women will ask everything of you while still complaining it isn't enough or right. You can figure out your car's needs. You will never figure out a women's needs. The car will retain its beauty from the day you meet it. Women lose their beauty a few years after the day you met them. If your car has a problem, you can fix it. If a woman has a problem, she doesn't want you to fix it, she only wants you to listen (even if you can fix it). You would give up your car for a women. What would she give up to give you a car? If taken care of, the car will be around for a lifetime. With women, there is no guarantee they will be around for a lifetime even when you do take care of them.

So what's my point? Looking back, if I had kept the cars, they would have still been around long after all the women have gone. Men and their cars, its only natural.
Well said!

OP, most of us are here because we fell in love early in life with Pontiacs. Be it the styling, the mechanics or "The Legend", we fell head over heels. Ask any Ford, Chevy Or Mopar guy and they will tell that "them Pontiac guys are a different breed"! I always preferred to think of it as forward thinkers. A Pontiac will teach you lessons in patients that will serve you well beyond your years, but once you take the time to learn their intricacies, like a good retriever they will never be far from your side.

Welcome to the forum, its guys like you that will keep the breed alive.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. I still have the '65 GTO I bought at age 21 and the '67 GTO I bought at age 22. I'll be 54 next month. Girlfriends came and went. Houses and cities changed. I still have the Goats. And I enjoy them more now than ever. My very first car was a 4 speed '66 GTO that I traded my motorcycle for at a party at the age of 18. I wrecked it within a year and a half. I first actually drove at age 9. I've wanted to drive since I was 1 or 2 years old, though, jumping up and down on the car seat and reaching up to grab that wonderful steering wheel. The day I turned 15 1/2, I got my motorcycle permit and learners permit to drive. On my 16th birthday I got my drivers license. 90% of the people I meet sell their cars as 'life' happens to them. THe next 5% still have their cars, in pieces, to be restored 'some day', but someday never comes. The last 5%, are people like myself. Always drove, kept, and appreciated them. I've driven mine for over 30 years. Not hoarded them, but driven them. To this date, the newest car I've ever owned is my '67, which I've put over 130,000 miles on. People come up to me and ask me 'how much is it worth?' These are not 'car people'.....and they don't 'get it'. I paid peanuts for both of mine, because they were simply used cars back then, and gas hogs at that. Not collector cars. Not yet. Anyway, stay focused, ask all the questions you can, and read all you can. The more you educate yourself, the better the car will be, and the cheaper the build will be. Check out the other forum, too...."Performance Years". It's a highly techincal forum with guys posting who actually built these cars on the assembly line as well as original owners...lots of first hand information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in