User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My Rant

Ok here is my rant.
As some of you know I completed my restoration of my 1967 GTO.
Everything on the car is correct numbers matching and I spent thousands on NOS parts.
The other day a guy posts he has an original walnut shifter knob for sale.
I email him and ask him how much does he want for it. (I am not afraid to spend crazy money for NOS parts.)
This is the BS I hate..He says in his email “make me an offer” I hate this approach. If you list something for sale you already have a price in mind. Why play these silly games.
I reply back and respectfully tell him I have no idea how much this part is worth and offer him $150.00 for the knob.
He emails me back and says “thanks a lot but I will pass.”
I email him back a respectful email again asking him how much ih was looking to get for the part.. My emails have gone unanswered.
Has any one else ever been in this situation? I would of most likely bought the knob if I had some sort of feedback or negotiation from the seller. I just don’t get it. Is it me???
Did I do something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
No, the guy is a butt hole. I hate guys like that myself. Even get this at swap meets. What do you want for it? I dunno, what'll you give me for it? You give price. Answer, I don't think so, its worth a whole lot more than that. WTF. Doesn't that reply indicate he does indeed have a figure in mind? Screw 'em, I just walk away and assume he just doesn't want to sell it anyway and its his wife simply pressuring him to get rid of the "junk," so he puts an unreal value on it so he doesn't sell it or plays "the game" to get more out of you.

When I sell something, first off I post a price. If your interested, you'll most likely counter offer. At that point I can accept it or turn it down thinking I will get my price from some one else, but I also know the item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I can unload it or keep it, or tell the person to contact me in a couple days and we will see what I can do.

If I see something at a swap meet I am interested in, even if it has a price, I throw out my offer and tell the seller that he won't have to load it back up, take it home, unload it, and repeat for the next swap meet. Generally works in getting my price or some reduction, but I usually wait to near closing when people are packing up.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Did that happen on here? If so pm me the members name. We will not tolerate shenanigans like that on this forum , that is a clear violation of our rules on selling.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just did a quick check on ebay. Ames has repros shipped for $68. Another place has them for $59 shipped. I understand you want original, but these could hold the place until you find one and then you could sell it and recoup some of the cost. There appears to be an original one off a '66 with a starting price of $20 plus $2.59 shipping. Recommend you contact the seller directly and try to strike a deal before the bidding gets too high on it. He may be tickled with the $20. You never know.

Getting back to your rant, the first rule in negotiating is to let the other guy speak first. If he refuses, tell him you have cash and want to buy now, but low ball him and see where he comes back. Something I also like to do is do a quick ebay check on my phone for a like item BEFORE I express interest in something. It'll give you a range of prices and give you something to show the seller. And never tell the seller that his piece is the last thing you need to complete a car! Better to tell him you just like to collect shifter knobs.

Yeah, sellers can be dicks, it's just part of the game and society we live in now. Gotta roll with it.

1968 GTO Coupe/Auto
1964 Riviera
1968 Mustang
2007 GT500
2006 Solstice (pocket Pontiac)
2012 Camaro SS 45th

Sold: 1967, 2004, 2005, 2006
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM

I price everything. If someone wants it they pay straight up or make an offer. The word "no" never hurt anyone (except a prisoner waiting for a "yes" from a governor). Buyers can be dicks too. Out takes from Hershey this year...

buyer: "How much?"

seller: "Ah, 3 bucks"

buyer: How about 2?"

seller: "I'd rather give your wife 2 dollars to drag you outa my space, bye..."

The seller was my pal that I share space with.

At another meet, and this puke lit me up man...

buyer: "How much" (a new pair of adj aluminum coilovers with mounts and springs)

seller (me): "I want $350, but make it 3 and take em with you."

buyer: "I'll go $200"

seller: "Nope..."

buyer: "Well you need the money, so..."

seller: "I do? Does it look like it to you? I wear $150 shoes and my 30 grand dually is [email protected]#&in paid for too. Still seem like it? In fact, GFY M F'er, NOT FOR SALE. Take a fuggin hike."

I took the parts off the table and put em in the back of my truck. I wanted to wrap one of the shocks around his neck. A serious guy comes up seconds later taking note of Mr Swap Douche. "Are you really keeping them now?" "Nah, but screw that punk. You want em?" "I do, so how about 3 and a 1/4?" "Done, but wait there's more. If you act now you get top AND botom mounts, and if you didn't know, the springs are included." "That guy was an azzzhole. I'll take it".

It's not always fun selling or buying but I think those who do best simply know how to enjoy it. As far as trolling for a price, "If you're serious about selling you have my number." and walk away. Someone else will get your dollars.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ran across a similar situation in the Want to Buy section on this forum. Guy was looking for a part so I sent him a PM with a price and offered to send him pics. He never responded back. Maybe is shopping around which is good, but wouldn't you want to see pics to compare against what others may have?

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I saw the post on the other forum. The knob was found under the seat, where it had been dropped during install, and the line worker grabbed another knob rather than waste the time to try and hunt the lost one down. The 'seller' isn't a seller at all: merely fishing to see what his prize is worth. Typical hoarder mentatlity. I had a guy 50 miles away offer to sell my girlfriend a collection of antique canning jars. We got there, she made her selection, and it was the same game. He wouldn't sell, wanted to know her price, when he got it, it wasn't enough, etc. Turns out he just wanted to show off his collection. Complete waste of our time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Wife and I go to an antique swap meet held every second Sunday of the month here in Sacramento. Some dealers are there to sell their stuff, some seem like they just want to show off their stuff and impress people with their high prices. There's a guy selling old metal toys and I see the same pieces every swap meet. He sits smugly next to another toy seller and they just talk to each other. Asked for a price once, it was way more than I was interested in paying, and I just said "nice", smiled, and walked off.

1968 GTO Coupe/Auto
1964 Riviera
1968 Mustang
2007 GT500
2006 Solstice (pocket Pontiac)
2012 Camaro SS 45th

Sold: 1967, 2004, 2005, 2006
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM

You can either sell something for a fair price or have something "for sale" forever. I hate haggling so I will usually pay asking price or make 1 offer that's close to asking but if a seller wont give me a price I keep walking. We all know we could put a $30,000 car out with a $5000 price tag on it and someone is gonna offer 4, its just the way people are. 3 weeks ago I bought a 65 GTO with its original drivetrain (after getting proof it was a real GTO from PHS because I thought for sure it was a clone at the asking price and the incredible shape its in) for $14,500. Did I offer 14? Nope. Gladly paid the 14 five. and found out from the seller ( an ex Pontiac mechanic who knew he was selling dirt cheap) That he had turned down a lot of offers lower than his asking price and turned down a lot of others because they didn't know Pontiacs, or sounded like they were going to flip it. He was looking for a home for his "Baby".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-08 19.32.49[1].jpg
Views:	62
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	48290   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-08 19.30.34[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	48298  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Well done, qwkvet!!!! When I bought my '65 way back when, I payed the full asking price as well. The seller asked me why I didn't try to haggle. (this was after he gave me $20 to put gas in it and let me and a buddy go street racing in it while he stayed home). I told him it was worth every penny of the $1200 asking price and drove it home. No regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in