is my starter / solenoid bad ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is my starter / solenoid bad ?

i just got a 73 lemans sport coupe with a 400 in it. it started a couple times and ran decent. when i got it home it was cranking slow (not fast enough to start). i thought it was the battery but i checked the voltage and it was good. it wont crank at all anymore. when i hit the starter with a wood stick and try to start it it will make a little noise like a real dead battery. i put a remote starter on there and it did the same thing. do you guys think it is the starter/solenoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Check the water level in the battery, a dry battery will read proper voltage but does not have enough current to start the engine.

Randy

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I`d say if it`s not the battery cables then yes, the starter is more then likely bad. If it starts cold but not after it`s warmed up, then a heat sheild may help, but it`s probably a bad starter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
You need to start with the battery first. You need to perform a load test with a VAT 40 or similar equipment. A voltage check alone won't tell you enough. If it load tests under 9.6 volts during a 15 second draw of about 175 amps, the battery is weak or bad. Take the battery out of the car, have it filled, charged, and tested. Try cranking the engine and turning the headlights on at the same time. Do you have lights when you crank? HOw bright? If your battery is ok and the problem is still there, it is probably a starter or batt cable issue.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

i used a new battery from my gto and it still would not start. i took out the starter and solenoid. the starter is still good. the solenoid still worked but was loose on the power terminal. it was just spinning and couldnt be tightened down so i just got a new one it was like 20 bucks. started right up... thanks all
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 PM

All great info so far. I have found many times it's a dirty battery connection or bad ground to the frame or motor. Start w/ the simple.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 AM

I just went through the same issue on my 70. When its cold, does it start okay, then when its hot, it turns over slow or not at all?

Mine was starting fine when cold, but was acting just like yours when it was hot. I just replaced the starter solonoid last night and it started probably 10 times or more while I was out running around today. Once it kinda turned a little slow, but still started.

The solenoid is cheap and fairly easy to replace. If the battery and connections are good, then I would try replacing the solenoid. While you have the starter out, take it down to one of the parts stores that have a starter tester and have the check your starter out. That way you will know if the starter is good.

Good luck,
Dale
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Like the above posts say if your connections are good check the solenoid. The pontiacs are notorious for heat soak to the solenoid which only effects the hot start. Try a sheild and wrap also.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calioak510 View Post
i just got a 73 lemans sport coupe with a 400 in it. it started a couple times and ran decent. when i got it home it was cranking slow (not fast enough to start). i thought it was the battery but i checked the voltage and it was good. it wont crank at all anymore. when i hit the starter with a wood stick and try to start it it will make a little noise like a real dead battery. i put a remote starter on there and it did the same thing. do you guys think it is the starter/solenoid?
Update to my post. A buddy of mine is having same problems on his 72 Cutlass. His problem ended up being two fold. First, he had a problem with the Park/neutral switch in the column. Plus his starter and solenoid was bad. He just called me today and told me what his problem was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in