User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Near death experiance...

Well, almost! The GF went out of town yesterday and I stayed around home and went to a semi-local car show. We both got home late and we went out to eat way later then we ever do. We got home about 1:30am, and because this was the first road trip we took in the car after the rear carrier install, I wanted to get a temp reading of the axle cover, so just before I backed into the shed I turned the car off and shot the cover with my temp gun . Temp was normal so I get back in and go to back the car into the shed and no battery at all, no lights, no dash lights, no clicks, no nothin. So I pop the hood to check the cables (I knew they were tight, but just checked them anyway) I tryed to twist them but both were tight, just as I put my hand on the second cable the whole top of the battery blew up in my face with a huge explosion!! One of the covers for adding water nailed me under the chin( I thought I lost part of it!), my face, eyes, arms, chest, neck got blasted with battery acid! I couldn`t see, I started burning all over, thought I was going to loose my sight, it wasn`t pretty! The GF was freaked out. Made my way into the house and got right in the shower. Luckly I was able to wash all the acid off and although my eyes did burn, by morning they were normal again.
After the shower I went down to push the car into the shed and all the lights were on, the dash lights were on, so I got inside and the car fired right up and I backed it into the shed. I was freakin out!! Why did the battery go dead? Why did it blow up? Why did it work again after it blew up?? Too many unanswered questions!! Very strange!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats one for the books. Glad to hear you're OK and eyes are fine.

Mike
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Glad you were not injured, could be your alternator overcharging the battery with a low battery acid level.

Randy

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Glad your OK. WOW yerrrrrrr lucky. Any damage to the car?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
Glad you were not injured, could be your alternator overcharging the battery with a low battery acid level.
Good call, I know I checked it two weeks ago and it was 14.3v, now it`s 16.4! Going to get a new voltage regulator now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Glad your OK. WOW yerrrrrrr lucky. Any damage to the car?
I had the presence of mind to wipe the front clip off with the detailing products, but I didn`t do anything under the hood. Now today my valve covers and air cleaner lids have burns on them. Both are less then a year old.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Thats some pretty scary stuff there. Glad you ok.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

The voltage regulator was the problem, installed the new one and voltage is back within specs.

Dang it! I was going to go to another car show next weekend, guess that's out of the question now.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
The voltage regulator was the problem, installed the new one and voltage is back within specs.

Dang it! I was going to go to another car show next weekend, guess that's out of the question now.

ahhhhhhhhh, just keep the hood closed.

Arm and hammer with vinegar cleans acid but not burns.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Rukee, I had a similar occurrence when I was 18 (1st GTO) doing a jump start. "Someone" crossed the positive and negative cables ...when they made the connection, the resulting explosion sent the Delco battery top about 30 feet straight up!!!! The battery still worked after that... I have been REAL careful to this day after that little F-up........Glad you aren' t horribly deformed like the guy from Phantom of the Opera..... Eric

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Well, almost! The GF went out of town yesterday and I stayed around home and went to a semi-local car show. We both got home late and we went out to eat way later then we ever do. We got home about 1:30am, and because this was the first road trip we took in the car after the rear carrier install, I wanted to get a temp reading of the axle cover, so just before I backed into the shed I turned the car off and shot the cover with my temp gun . Temp was normal so I get back in and go to back the car into the shed and no battery at all, no lights, no dash lights, no clicks, no nothin. So I pop the hood to check the cables (I knew they were tight, but just checked them anyway) I tryed to twist them but both were tight, just as I put my hand on the second cable the whole top of the battery blew up in my face with a huge explosion!! One of the covers for adding water nailed me under the chin( I thought I lost part of it!), my face, eyes, arms, chest, neck got blasted with battery acid! I couldn`t see, I started burning all over, thought I was going to loose my sight, it wasn`t pretty! The GF was freaked out. Made my way into the house and got right in the shower. Luckly I was able to wash all the acid off and although my eyes did burn, by morning they were normal again.
After the shower I went down to push the car into the shed and all the lights were on, the dash lights were on, so I got inside and the car fired right up and I backed it into the shed. I was freakin out!! Why did the battery go dead? Why did it blow up? Why did it work again after it blew up?? Too many unanswered questions!! Very strange!!
Glad to hear that you're OK. You may want to get your eyes checked out by a doctor to play it safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in