Need advice on rims, 66 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need advice on rims, 66 GTO

So I'm redoing a 1966 GTO on a budget. The car has been sitting for 10 years so it definitely needs new tires, but I was also considering new rims. Right now it has Rally I rims, which I am not a fan off.

I found these, and seem like a pretty good deal. Was wondering if anyone is using this type of rim, and do these just look horrible on a 66. Any advice would be appreciated.

14 Inch Wheels/14 Inch Rims Silver Finish Special Buy Wheels Sendel S20 Machined Ppt By Special Buy Wheels for your 1966 PONTIAC GTO - Starting from $92.00 with Free Shipping and Free Warranty - Buy Wheels and Rims Online from Performance Plus Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Yes, to me, those look horrible on a '66. Very 1980's. (But I like rally ones!). Can't go wrong with American racing Torque Thrusts, or Cragars.....Cragar even has a new, Hurst wheel look alike that looks totally cool, IMO. And my personal taste runs to 14" and 15" wheels.....I remember the original look and still like it: lots of rubber in the wheel wells, not rim bling. The large diameter ghetto/thug wheels belong on the 4-door donked out Impalas driven by drug dealers.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM

I have those on mine. I belive they are American Racing Outlaw or Outlaw II. I think they look all right but a litle dated. I remember them from my high school days about 20 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010044.JPG
Views:	4744
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	17609   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010057.JPG
Views:	4404
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	17617  

It doesn't have nitrous. It has cubic inches.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
been eyeing these for the resto mod look

US Mag Pontiac GM Buick Style Rally "Bandit" 17x8 Machined Black Hotrod Wheel | eBay

but like said all the 5 spokes look right at home on the 66'

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Yeah, I used the expression 'horrible" because it was given to me by kremor. The thing is, nostalgia differs for each of us. For me, my "day two" experience with GTO's was 35+ years ago, and I ran Ansen slots on my first goat....and it was jacked up with air shocks to clear the huge bias ply tires. Looking back, that was horrible. But still, I have a warm spot in my heart for '70's stuff on these cars. When I got my '65 GTO in 1982, I was going to tub it, paint it black, put a blown 455 in it, and run Centerline wheels all the way around. Glad I didn't do that.....I still have the car. The '80's look isn't really horrible, especially if the '80's were your own "day two" years. Go with the wheels YOU like. It's your car!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Go with the ones you like, we all like different things. Part of what makes looking at new cars fun.. Will say back in the day on the 1st GTO I owned which was a 66. I loved the Rally I's on it. Only GTO I never took the oriiginal wheels off of. The color of the GTO was Platinum Poly. So the wheels matched will..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Now that I actually see that type of wheel on a 66, don't think their for me, still look great, but not what I'm after. Think I'll stick with the Rally I's and and save for something else, those bandits would look amazing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremor View Post
Now that I actually see that type of wheel on a 66, don't think their for me, still look great, but not what I'm after. Think I'll stick with the Rally I's and and save for something else, those bandits would look amazing.
I put the 17" Bandits on my '67 GTO. I really like the look of them. I am planning on running these rims most of the time, but I am going to buy a set of reproduction red lines to put on a set original Rallye II's to take to shows, etc.

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would really think about running 15's ..the tire choice will be much better and I think they fill the wheel wells much more than 14's .. I have 15 inch rally II's and I'm not happy with them after I went thru the trouble of sand blasting priming buying decals to mask them and paint correctly ..I think my 65 needs some chrome rims as the car needs some flash .... I've had Chevy's, Mopars and Fords with side trim or hood and trunk stripes but my car just sits there ..maybe its just me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in