Need help decodeing a 65 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need help decodeing a 65

Hello I'm in the hunt for a goat. I have my eye on a 1965 gto the owner claims it is numbers matching. I have decoded the vin 2 door hard top built in Baltimore gold etc.I am having trouble deciphering the data plate and other numbers he sent me Data plate12b379tr6523737bal399012213tt. I know the tt is gold and the213 is black int i don't know the other numbers.He also said intake#l34 block#9778789 date k44 wt143127,,77 And another # 78816 he cant give me the rear end #. Can you guys please help me with these numbers i want to snag it this weekend if all the numbers make sense.Thanks triplets

Last edited by triplets; 06-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If the car were built in the Pontiac or the Kansas City plant the data plate would include a code in Group 5 on the accessory line. Baltimore didn't use accessory coding so the only way to verify this car is a true GTO is by contacting PHS Automotive Services, Inc. and ordering a PHS report. The cost is around $50 or $60 and will include the build sheet and billing history. Sample of the 65 PHS documents.

The engine casting number and letter code are correct for 65, the data plate date and engine casting date are in order. Ask him if he has PHS documents,

Randy

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you 05gto for your response.I am trying to check out the sample page but i cannot access it.Can you guys point me in the direction how you found this information? Do you have old phs documents your using?I'm searching the archives on this site to no avail.I wanted to go Monday to try to get this deal done but without the proper info i don't feel comfortable.any more help would be appreciated thanks triplets.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've ordered PHS documents for 5 or 6 different GTO's, 2 of which I currently own,

Here is how it works;

Fill out the order form and print it, if you want the PHS information faxed back to you within a day or so add the fax back fee to your order.

Then fax the PHS form to the number listed on the order information, This is not an on-line order. After they find the information on micro film they will send you a packet via USPS including the listed information on the car's VIN. If you have selected the FAX BACK service they will also send the information to your fax.

here is the order form,

PHS Automotive Services, Inc.

Randy

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again 05gto . I see that if 382 is not on the options its a tempest. I will see about the phs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in