Need help with value: 1970 GTO hardtop - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need help with value: 1970 GTO hardtop

I am about to make a purchase and would like some feedback from you guys beforehand. I am a Chevelle guy so I always second guess myself when I deviate from what I know. The car in question is a 1970 GTO, 400-350hp, TH400 auto, bucket seats, AC car. As fas as I know, it is numbers matching (YS block, #13 heads) but it is not exactly stock. The car has been owned by the same guy since 1973 and the best way to describe it is a 70's street machine. It is an original cardinal red car with black vinyl top. It originally had a red interior but was converted to black with diamond tuck velour. It has a roll cage in it. Full bolt-ons from the era; tow tabs, intake/carb, headers to dumped mufflers, sun gauges, fog lights, cragars with 30+ year old polyglas tires. It has etched side/rear glass and a mural airbrushed on the hood with pin striping all over. The paint looks presentable but does show its age and is checking in certain areas, especially the front bumper. It's really a time machine; you don't see them like this anymore, especially not this preserved. It runs & drives well but could use some TLC of course.

I may be nuts, but I think it's unique. That being said, what is it worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 AM

It is a kool and unique car and shouts "1980" really loud. If the interior, exhaust, steering wheel and some of the engine stuff (like the braided hoses) was swapped out it could retain it's almost "day 2" flavor with a bit more dignity. As it is I wouldn't pay more than $8-10K if it's as solid as it looks. Add $2K for an interior kit to whatever you pay. I freely admit I'm showing some of my personal taste here.

Last edited by 666bbl; 01-15-2015 at 06:08 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I agree.....but I'd say max of 12k to 15K if it is matching #'s.....Those pinstripes, if not under clear can probably be removed, I don't see anything that is not returnable to stock. And those braided hose coverings....Yech
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Where's the Moonroof?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

FWIW, the car is virtually rust free. The paintwork was done in 1980 and it's been a "show only" car since so it hasn't been out in the elements. The car is in good condition for being unrestored but certain parts definitely need to be de-pimped.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM

Garage
I think you would be lucky to get it for $15K, but the sales taxes in NY are like another $15K on top of that right? Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:10 PM

In my opinion with respect to your car I would stay around 8K for many reasons. First it is not the most desire body line of GTO's. Second way too many questionable issues withing interior compartment. Third those wheels men. The car looks nice but I pass if more money is asked. Good luck making a decision
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I think around 10-14k is reasonable. You could drive it as is. I disagree with chui: the 1970 GTO is one of the best looking years, in my opinion. Very clean design. And a great road car. I would install the red interior back in it along with a factory wheel. Change out the wheels to something more appropriate, but no ghetto wheels...stick with 15 inchers. Leave the pinstriping as-is and enjoy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I agree with the interior being the most questionable part of the car. The color change doesn't bother me since it matches the top. The seats and door panels are not that bad but the dash, headliner, and package tray are also wrapped in the same velour material. The car also does have a 4-point cage inside with the rear links going into the trunk area. Another part of the car that is hard to undo is the etched side and rear glass; they would need to be replaced. The paint is presentable as-is and the car does have some character but when buying a car like this, you really have to factor in the cost of a paint job too. I am seeing nice 70 GTO's equivalent to this car as far as options go listed in the $20-22k range, so at around $15k like some of you mention, does it make sense? I think it's still high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in