Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Need a little help with carburetor

838 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Lemans guy 
#1 ·
66 with 3 duces, been sitting a while. Put in new fuel pump, working great. Can not get gas out of the jets. Plenty of pressure to the bowl as the gas squirts all over the place when I loosen the fuel line to the center carb. didn't see a filter when I disconnected the fuel line to the carb. No matter how many times I manually work the throttle no gas out of the jets. engine will run fine when I manually spray gas in from a spray bottle Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#7 ·
So when you work the throttle quickly and want a squirt of fuel, you are talking about the accelerator pump, not the main jets.

The main jets feed from vacumn thru the Venturi and usually don’t come into play until about 2500 RPM.

You need to check your accelerator pump circuit, the pump is a spring and rubber plunger thing, they differ a little on each carb but you can find them on the web to match yours.

Like the guys says will take a bit of looking into carb......if it runs on the idle circuit after you get it running with a squirt from a bottle you could try some carb cleaner in the tank, and or some carb cleaner spray in the top of the carb air bleeds and Venturi etc.

Gumout Regane is a solvent based cleaner for the gas tank, and has PEA in it a good cleaner.

But best practice would be to look inside and get that accelerator circuit working

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.