Need some info about auxillary gauges - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need some info about auxillary gauges

Hi. I'm building a 3D 67 GTO in Google Sketchup, and I have decided to replace the 8-track player with some auxillary gauges. I've seen many photos of this car with the gauges under the dash, but none are clear enough for me to tell just what the gauges are. If anyone could post a photo of gauges that might be found in a 67 GTO it would be much appreciated. Or if you have a good frontal photo of the gauges in your car I could include them in my model. This is my first effort at building a car in Sketchup, and any comments or criticisms would be welcome. This is as close as I'll ever come to having my dream car, so I want to get it right. Thanks in advance.
(I'm also looking for some good photos of the grab handle) Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	924.9 KB
ID:	9755

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	9756
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM

I haven't a clue of what you are talking about. Most of the GTO's had a analog fuel gauge and a idiot light for the water temp, oil pressure, and battery charge indicator. The Stewart Warner gauges came in either 1, 2, or 3 pod gauge sets. If I had a 1 pod I would have a mechanical water temp. 2 pod I would add a mechanical oil pressure. 3 pod I would add to that an ammeter or vacuum gauge.

I hope this is what you were looking for.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The aftermarket gauges used under the dash are USUALLY: water temp, oil pressure, and volts.....however your rallye dash will already have water temp, and oul pressure. BTW you have the wrong year gauges in your dash.....COOL pics. !!!!! Welcome too....Eric

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome Hellnbak, and never say never on getting one, took me 30 years. Outstanding work especially like the cop walking up in the drivers rear view, nice touch. is this what you are looking for, aftermarket with temp/oil pressure/voltage meters? The other factory option i believe was console mounted vacuum gauge. Looks like you used a Grant aftermarket wood steering wheel also, factory one is a little different. Please send a link to it when you are finished, and don't stop dreaming. You also need to add the radio knobs.

steering wheel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...ts_Accessories

vacuum gauge:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum gauge.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	991.5 KB
ID:	9767  

Last edited by Instg8ter; 12-22-2010 at 08:11 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM

Garage
Start building a real one!

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:20 PM

two more things...bottom (metal part of the dash) was usually painted same color as top sill of inner doors. and the handle goes right next to the GTO on that strip to the rights around 10" long.

with eric....use your considerable graphic talents....go make some cash and get a real one, they are a lot of fun.

did you start assembly yet Eric? post some pics when you do, merry x-mas

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...966%20Tempest/
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

My God, my knobs fell off! Didn't even notice that, I put them back. Guess I'll just leave the 8-track, and maybe add the console vacuum gauge. I put it there because I collect 8-tracks, have way too many of them.
As far as the dash color, I've downloaded a TON of 67 photos for this project, and while some of them do go that way, some don't. Some have the top sills painted a different color from the body. I tried painting the dash that way, just doesn't look right for some reason. Maybe after I finish this thing and render it (make everything look photo-realistic, with shiny surfaces where they should be shiny) it'll look different and I'll go that route. Things just don't look right when all the colors are flat.
I have the wrong dash gauges??????? I took them from the only decent photo I could find. Jeez, don't know what I'll do about that. I've tried to find someone in the local area that has a 67 that I could take some photos of, but no luck so far. If one of you would be willing to take some good photos of your gauges and some other stuff I would be willing to pay you. Or maybe you know of someone in the Holland, Michigan area that has one and would like to make a few bucks.
I know where the grab handle goes, I have it in the model. I just wanted a good photo of the plate it mounts on.
Thanks for all your help and advice. Like I said, this is my first model and I know it's not perfect. But it's fun! Finally found something new and interesting to do on my puter. I'll post more photos as it develops.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 PM

should find any reference photos you need here and it's free....i am just south of Detroit, i think the difference Eric is pointing to is the Rally dash w/tach, vs non rally (gauge/clock locations were different and the speedo had checker flags on it) and the lettering was slightly different between 66'-67'. post back if you need any more help, like what your doing. You will find if you research that the paint and trim combo's were pretty much unlimited as they had special paint and trim options so yes you could get all black on the dash and almost any trim/paint combo (have seen some very ugly originals...LOL).

Pontiac GTO - The Ultimate Pontiac GTO Picture Site
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Garage
I am expecting my "brake kit" late this week or next week. Then off to the body shop for a test fit......engine is coming along slowly and carefully!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 AM

Garage
Visit Precision Pontiac Home Page you will find some excellent photos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in