1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need value help on 64

The vin is 824f11125.
So from what I have learned is it is a 64, V8, Lemans series from the Fremont plant. Does this mean it is in fact not a GTO?

I believe the car is a Hardtop based on my memory and the VIN.

This car has been completely stripped and partially redone from what I have been told. It is ready for paint and then needs the engien, interior, ect. reinstalled. The engine is NOT original, unfortunately. It is a 400 from something.

This was my uncles car and he passed, now my aunt is wanting to sell it. One of my other less than informed uncles told her to not let it go for under 16K. From what I have found it is not going to bring anywhere near that price in its current condition.

I know the body is straight and BONDO free. Has all glass except the rear wing glass.

Please give me the average price for a "barn find" of this sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Vin

Hi! From my numbers book,
8=8cylinder
2=Lemans
4=1964
F=Fremont
last four is the production number

I believe the 64 was a Lemans with a GTO option package (guys correct me if I'm wrong). GTOs were not their own series until 66. I would print out a form on the Pontiac Historical Services site and fax/send it in and they will send you an original bill of sale along with all the options on the vehicle. I believe it's under phs-online. It also will help in the value of selling it.
Hope this helps
Linda
PS> if it is a GTO, then you probably could get way more money for it. This is where the PHS docs come in handy. I believe the GTO option code would be 382 according to my book.
JNYBOY likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If the car is a lemans without the GTO option it would be worth $2,000 -$6,000 depending on the condition, if indeed you have a GTO without a matching motor I would venture to guess the value would be worth from $5,000 - $14,000 depending on the condition.

As Linda said, get the PHS report for the car, take and post pictures and that will give us a better idea of what you are trying to sell.

I am looking for a 64 or a 65 GTO for my next project, I'm leaning to a vert with a 4 speed but I will look at any cars available.

Randy

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 AM

I believe the GTO option could be had on a Tempest...nice car no matter what...sure you don't want to keep Uncle's car (I bet my nephews want mine...)
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Linda and 05 are esactly right. You need to spend $50 on the PHS docs to verify the car. If it's been in the family a long time, and has the GTO dash emblem above the glove box ('64 only, weird size, in place of grab handle), it probably IS a real GTO. GtO's and LeMans's were both options on the Tempest line: the factory manuals refer to all of these vehicles as "Tempests" until '66. 05 is correct on the pricing, too. I would think that in prime, without paint, demi-stripped, wrong motor, etc. you'd be looking at maybe 6 or 7 k max if it IS indeed a GTO. If a Lemans, then about 2k (in my jaded opinion!) Have fun.....the detective work is half of the enjoyment!
Jeff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM

what, no love for me???...I got the Tempest part right...is it 'cuz I have an '06???...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
what, no love for me???...I got the Tempest part right...is it 'cuz I have an '06???...
Bill
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 10:27 AM
CPL

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So y'all are saying that got wasn't it's own line until 66.that would mean my 65 lemans post car with got package is as close to GTO you could get in 65 which makes it worth more and should be considered a GTO?My PHS DOCS confirm THE GOT PACAGE as well as my VIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_125309_857_1509722645255.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	577.8 KB
ID:	98609  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Exactly. GTO was an option on the Lemans line until '66. GTO was a separate model from 66-72(?), and an option package again in 73 and 74. I don't care about the last 2 model years, so google is your friend in verifying this info.

Your PHS is the only way to be sure its a GTO in the beginning and ending years.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 PM
CPL

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So my 65 Lemans with gto package only came with the lemans badges letters.
So did the 64,65 come with the gto badges as well?or are the ones you see on the 64,65 years owner addons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in