1Likes
  • 1 Post By Instg8ter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need your opinion on 67 GTO

Hi, new to the forum but long time GTO fan. I am looking at purchasing my first GOAT. I am going to look at this 1967 next weekend but would like your opinions on what to look for and estimated value. I am not looking for a perfect car, I want a driver that I can increase value with some elbow grease. This particular car is a 67 sport coupe, with the original 335hp 400. Owner says he thinks the transmission used to be an auto, but I ordered PHS documents and verified this is an original 3 spd car. Color, engine and trans seem to line up with PHS documents. Car needs paint, trim pieces and a little TLC, he is asking $22K. Too much? I have more pics if needed.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15253575-1967-pontiac-gto-std.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	119747   Click image for larger version

Name:	15253571-1967-pontiac-gto-std.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	119749   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	119751   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO6.png
Views:	83
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	119753   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO17.png
Views:	67
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	119755  

Name:	GTO13.png
Views:	64
Size:	819.1 KB
ID:	119757  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Hopefully others with much more experience will chime in. I've owned 2 67's which is my favorite year. I don't want to offend you or anyone else who owns one, but a 2d post model doesn't bring as much as a 2d ht. Don't get me wrong, I like them also. Does the interior need attention?? What about the undercarriage?? How are the floor and trunk pans?? Any signs of rust around the reveal moldings?? Bondo?? Are the quarters straight?? The bottoms of the doors. If you can drive that away for $22,000.00, it might not be a bad deal. I think I would offer 20 thousand and see what happens. I'd like to have that little wiggle room. I don't know your finances, but if you had that 20 thousand cash, on the spot, take it with you, tell him what you have, and a small wager says you'd be driving it home. I just saw you are from AZ. If the car is there, I would think it is probably pretty much rust free, Nicholas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Hopefully others with much more experience will chime in. I've owned 2 67's which is my favorite year. I don't want to offend you or anyone else who owns one, but a 2d post model doesn't bring as much as a 2d ht. Don't get me wrong, I like them also. Does the interior need attention?? What about the undercarriage?? How are the floor and trunk pans?? Any signs of rust around the reveal moldings?? Bondo?? Are the quarters straight?? The bottoms of the doors. If you can drive that away for $22,000.00, it might not be a bad deal. I think I would offer 20 thousand and see what happens. I'd like to have that little wiggle room. I don't know your finances, but if you had that 20 thousand cash, on the spot, take it with you, tell him what you have, and a small wager says you'd be driving it home. I just saw you are from AZ. If the car is there, I would think it is probably pretty much rust free, Nicholas.
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually considering doing just what you suggested and bringing $20k cash. I just wanted to make sure I'm not paying too much. I realize post cars are not considered as desirable but I like them just fine. The car is a Texas car without rust except for a small spot in the trunk, at least that is what I have been told. I think I will pursue this car thanks for the help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I recall one time I was buying a car and the guy wanted $20,000.00 for it. The ad said firm at that price. Made arrangements to look at the car and brought $18,000.00 with me and another $2,000.00 separately in case it was a really good deal. I looked at the car and it was nice. I offered $18,000.00 and told him I had the money with me. He said no and I thought my offer was fair and began to walk away. He said wait a minute. You have the money with you right now? Yup. Showed him the money all in hundreds. Bought the car for the $18,000.00 and the next day trailer-ed it home. My limited experience; money talks. Best wishes with your purchase, Nicholas.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i agree, looks like a solid post car and a great foundation to drive as you make it yours. Partial to the color, mine was barrier blue also, i sprayed Bahama blue metallic a 90;s GM color and its a near perfect match with a a fine silver flake. That made it easier doing the paint because i didnt have to take it apart to blend in door jambs.
i say 20....if it runs good and is mechanically sound. Go for it!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1178.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	119765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1188.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	119767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1197.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	119769   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view mirror.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	119771  
deanhickey likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclouse View Post
Hi, new to the forum but long time GTO fan. I am looking at purchasing my first GOAT. I am going to look at this 1967 next weekend but would like your opinions on what to look for and estimated value. I am not looking for a perfect car, I want a driver that I can increase value with some elbow grease. This particular car is a 67 sport coupe, with the original 335hp 400. Owner says he thinks the transmission used to be an auto, but I ordered PHS documents and verified this is an original 3 spd car. Color, engine and trans seem to line up with PHS documents. Car needs paint, trim pieces and a little TLC, he is asking $22K. Too much? I have more pics if needed.

Thanks
I say offer 18K. you can always go up, maybe end up at 20k. Sucks when you shoot out a number and he takes it so quick ,you have to think maybe you could have gotten it for less. 18k is probably a good investment number. I got a post car also. You can see a bit more in my garage. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in