New to car hunting and some observations... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to car hunting and some observations...

Hi Everyone. It is great to have a resource to ask questions and get input from those with tons more experience than I have. For the last 4 months I have been searching for and learning about Lemans/Tempest/GTO's. While in school I had a 1968 Lemans with a 4 speed, 350HO, A/C, posi. I kick myself now for selling it, and have dreamed about this car ever since I have been without it. In my searching so far, I have come across some observations and questions and was wondering if you guys could give your input. 1) First off, on ebay, I am wondering if there are many buyers that are willing to buy a car without having test driven/inspected the car? This seems super-risky; are most of the bidders on a typical GTO living nearby the car so they can go inspect in person?? I drove 7 hours one way to inspect a GTO and it turned out the broker was a complete liar and misrepresented the car- right now I suspect most brokers are not to be trusted. 2) Secondly, it seems like there are a lot of GTOs in the 20-25K range, that have not had engine/trans/rear end rebuilt. If it's just a standard 400ci/350HP, no convert, no ram air, should i expect to be able to find one with rebuilt drivetrain for 20-25K, or is this asking too much (I'm looking for 1968-69)? 3) do these cars run ok with 80-100K miles on them, or should I expect the drivetrain to breakdown at anytime with that kind of mileage? 4) my ideal car would be 68-69 GTO 400 OR Lemans/Tempest 350HO, with A/C and 4 speed. I see so many cars without the a/c compressor, but which came with factory A/C; is it likely that simply putting in a new compressor is all that is needed to get a/c up and running? 4) in 4 months of searching, I have yet to see a 68-69 Lemans/Tempest with a 350HO engine, 4 speed, and a/c- is this something that is going to be super-rare?? or are they out there???? Thanks so much for any input! Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Should be able to get a nice recent resto w/re-built motor/trans between 20-30, cheaper if a LeMans or Tempest. Stay away from the brokers, a lot of guys on the forum are willing to go check out local cars for other members across country. You are in a great area to find good metal restorable vehicles but these days it will cost you well over the 20-30K mark to restore one. If you would consider a 70' pm (personal message) me i may be able to help.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 PM

It hasn't arrived yet, but i just bought my 400ci 69 tempest convertible (GTO clone) from ebay for $12.6k.

Two years ago i bought a 98 viper GTS off ebay sight unseen, and I had no worries at all. Ebay does cover your ass. You should read their Vehicle Protection Program information to see if you would feel comfortable.

Having someone see it is good, but at the same time everyone looks for something different, and what's good for you might not be good for them, etc.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies and info guys. that is good to hear that a recent restoration can be had for 20-30k.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
In my experience Carfax is a complete waste of time. First, it will not accept a 13 digit VIN as a legit VIN, so right off the bat it is useless for an older vehicle. Second, very few insurance companies actually report to Carfax, so you're not as covered as you think you are.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

carfax is worthless for the classics.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Definitely take your time buying, and make sure you get the best car you can for your money. As most will say here, for every one thing you think the car needs, there are 4 or 5 more lurking in the dark depths.

Rumble Rumble Rumble
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

yeah, it is a real test of patience to want a/THE car so badly, but to not have any good options in sight at the moment. I have felt like an addict searching for a car, but there is no drug to be had...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

The other thing- I read the ebay protection policy and it seems to only cover you if the title is fraudulent, or things like that. It says for vehicles older than 10 years, it won't cover you for mechanical problems, even if the seller says it runs fine and it turns out it doesnt. They say the responsibility is all on you to inspect the vehicle BEFORE purchase. This opens it up for all sellers to claim their vehicles run well and need nothing, (being sold as is, of course), and get away with it even if this is not true. I guess the saving grace is if you read ebay's policy on non-pay bidders, you basically get a slap on the wrist for your first two non-pay auctions, even if they are cars! so i guess one could bid on a car and win it, and then inspect afterwards and back out if it was misrepresented...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in