new engine warranty 1967 ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new engine warranty 1967 ?

Is there any way I can tell if the engine in my '67 was replaced under warranty? My engine unit number is different than the PHS
number. Car was built in Oct. of '66 and engine date is Feb. '67.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I believe the letter code was SR for a service replacement block. Also, the engine unit number should be listed on the PHS billing history for all of 67 and the engine/car VIN would be on the block for late 67.

Randy

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Pontiac dealers didn't install a later date same two letter code block or shortblock for warranty work. IF a dealer did replace a block, they did so with a fitted SR (Service Replacement) block, i.e; machined block, fitted pistons with rings. The dealer could also order bare cyl heads from Parts Distribution, if the blown engine took out a cyl head(s), then the head's and engine were assembled in the dealership service area.

SR blocks were stamped on the block face next o the timing over with SR and a string of numbers. The SR and following digits were stamped at the Pontiac Engine plant. Some dealers in '68 and up, crudely stamped a partial VIN onto the face of such SR blocks... Most didn't. To get an original block/ shortblock/ or long block replaced under warranty required Zone paperwork. Have several longtime collector friends that have full documentation from both the dealer and corresponding Zone of the early dealer replacement of their RA car's original block. Anything short of that, with an SR block... very questionable.

Sourcing a YS or WT block to go into '65-66-67-68-69-70 GTO has been going on since the early 80's. original blocks blew, or were missing from project cars, and there have always been guys taking shortcuts looking for a block, or omelette engine, who aren't very concerned with casting dates, but are somehow really concerned with the correct year application and two letter code. Has never made much sense to me. I've consitently tried to convey when selling specific code blocks that the block correctly dated what the buyer was needing, not what he mistakenly thought "might work". If date range wasn't correct, often! I would not sell or trade that particular part.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
I believe the letter code was SR for a service replacement block. Also, the engine unit number should be listed on the PHS billing history for all of 67 and the engine/car VIN would be on the block for late 67.
The assembly number (what is noted on the billing card as the engine unit number) is often abbreviated on '67 models. ESP on Femont builds. will have to ck other '67 billing cards I have, have quite a few from Kansas City builds. Partial VIN stamping on the face of the block with a gangstamper, one will start seeing on '68 model blocks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Nope no SR stamp I thought there might be a chance it was a warranty replacement since both blocks were YZ and
only 5 months apart. I'll do a little more digging and see what turns up.
Thanks so much for all the info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
What Pinionhead said. Back in the day, engines were often replaced with the correct letter code, because that was visible. Somebody replaced your engine with a correct application, 360 hp HO engine. Just a bit too new for the car. Probably been in there since 1975! I installed an incorrect WT block in my original WS '65 back in the early '80's because it was in good shape and $100 for the entire engine. WS 389 engine blocks were hard to find, even then. I didn't look at the date code until 36 years later....and it's correct for my car. Too bad the prefix isn't, though! Since your car is a documented YZ car with a YZ engine, it is more sought after than a garden variety YS car. Even though it isn't a born-with engine and it's the wrong date, it's still better than having a totally wrong engine in there, like a '74 400. My own issue is that I have my Protect-o-Plate, which has my Engine Unit Number.....so even if I find the right date coded WS for my '65, it will have the wrong EUN and will never be the 'born with' engine. You can worry about this stuff at night or not, depending on your priorities. I'm more of a long-term owner/driver who makes repairs as needed and doesn't worry about having original master cylinders or alternators on my cars.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

geeteeohguy,
I also am long-term owner/driver Just one of those things that I wanted to
Know. I really like this car and plan on having it for a very long time.
Thanks so much for your reply I now understand how all this happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in