New to the forum - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to the forum

Whats up guys? my name is Nate, and Im new to all car forums. I have a 68 GTO, all original and matching numbers. I want to do some engine work to it, but nothing to serious, as I like it being original for the most part. My question is..........what are some good combinations as far as carb/manifold/headers are concered with these GTO's. I want to make sure I get the right stuff to make my baby the way it should!

Thanks for all the help!

Nate*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
, Welcome Nate! My personal opinion: If the car is all original, I wouldn't go too crazy. Stick with bolt on stuff, so you can go back to stock easily. I would do something like a tri-power set up. A shift kit if it is a TH400. 3.55 rear gears. Some nice redline radials for ride. If you use headers, GO WITH GOOD ONES! ie; Hookers. I don't think you really need headers, unless you are using better flowing heads and a large cam.......Post some Pics and tell us more about the car. I have a 67, and also like the 66. 68 is my 3rd favorite, especially with hideaways.......

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
, Welcome Nate! My personal opinion: If the car is all original, I wouldn't go too crazy. Stick with bolt on stuff, so you can go back to stock easily. I would do something like a tri-power set up. A shift kit if it is a TH400. 3.55 rear gears. Some nice redline radials for ride. If you use headers, GO WITH GOOD ONES! ie; Hookers. I don't think you really need headers, unless you are using better flowing heads and a large cam.......Post some Pics and tell us more about the car. I have a 67, and also like the 66. 68 is my 3rd favorite, especially with hideaways.......
good suggestions there and i would keep the q-jet carb as its the best in my own opinion and get a set of ram air exhausts
oh and welcome aboard

Last edited by wytnyt; 09-12-2008 at 05:34 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Welcome aboard and nice car My opinion: an Edelbrock intake along with carb would be a good option (although there is nothing wrong with using a q-jet since they are really good carbs) Hooker headers like previously mentioned with a Flowmaster exhaust, and mild Comp or Crane cam. Shift kit would also be good. I have that set up on my 1970 400 cui motor that I have in my 1987 Olds 442 and it runs great. Do you have any pics of the car? Also, keeping it stock would be good to if you can't decide on anything to keep it original. Plus the mods I mentioned are easily changeable back to stock minus the cam though

Last edited by deg04gto; 09-13-2008 at 01:00 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 PM

Hey Nate & welcome to the Heard...Don't know much about the Classics, but I would imagine stock, or close to it would be the best route...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Welcome to the forum, Nate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the suggestions, and the warm welcome. I will leave the block stock. I allready re-painted it Matador red, and did the wheels/tires. American Eagle torque 2's. I will do carb/man/cams also. I will post some pics when I can...........Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in