New Guy w/ an Opportunity to buy a $6k 66 GTO - help needed
I stumbled across a guy yesterday about his 66 GTO in his driveway and as it turns out he's down on his luck and wants to sell his GTO very quickly due to some cash issues. He's asking $6k for it but I am very uneducated about GTO's in general.
Here are the details of the car:
1. 1966 GTO, all numbers match. VIN: 242176Z1XXXXX
2. Tranny is a factory manual 3 speed, no console.
3. Motor was rebuilt after just 62k miles, and spun a bearing 200 miles after the rebuild. It has never ran since, and this was 23 years ago. The motor is out and the bottom end is ripped out, but all intact. In fact it just needs a new crank and I can have it put back together again. All original.
4. Missing front and rear bumpers, and hood.
5. Missing headliner.
6. Sheet metal is in great shape, except bad rust on the passenger side piece behind the rear window. You know the "wing" section.
7. It has only 62k original miles.
8. The son of the original owner still owns it, and it has an interesting past.
9. For all intents and purposes, this is unmolested.
Is this a great starting point and price for a 66 GTO? I'm heading back over to his house today to discuss buying it. If times got tough for me, could I easily sell it for what I am paying for it?
I appreciate anyone's responses.