LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New here and looking to buy a GTO :)

Whats up guys?
Im Jon, and i just registered here...

I have never owned a GTO or any muscle car at that. Right now im trying to read/study as much as i can on everything about the GTO before i decide to buy one. With that said, what years are popular for the GTO? Im not a fan of the 70's GTO that much, and i know they came out in 64. Also, do any of you guys know good websites or books that are good info on the GTO and help in the buying process?

Thanks a lot , I appreciate it...and if anyone has any other info on goats that think might be helpful please comment!!! Thanks again

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums. Good luck on your quest to GTO ownership.
I`m partial to the `65s myself. "The Great One" A good book for history, background, options available each year is 'The BIG "Little GTO" book' by Albert Drake. I picked it up at the mall and it helped me choose the 65. ebay is a good place to look, local car trade magazines too will show cars in your area. It`s always nice to be able to see the car before bidding/buying, IMO.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedbacon View Post
Whats up guys?
Im Jon, and i just registered here...

I have never owned a GTO or any muscle car at that. Right now im trying to read/study as much as i can on everything about the GTO before i decide to buy one. With that said, what years are popular for the GTO? Im not a fan of the 70's GTO that much, and i know they came out in 64. Also, do any of you guys know good websites or books that are good info on the GTO and help in the buying process?

Thanks a lot , I appreciate it...and if anyone has any other info on goats that think might be helpful please comment!!! Thanks again

Jon
What up Jon! Welcome!
I am a bit crushed to hear you say you don't like the 70s GTO, but then again, I am certainly biased!
Anyway, as Rukee said, the books he mentioned are a good start.
Here are a few websites that will help you find tons of info.
www.gtoaa.org
www.gtoalley.com
www.ultimategto.com
www.pontiacpower.net

You are off to a great start, finding this forum.
I don't know where you are located, but check out our club website. (address in my sig)

Anything else we can do to help, we're no farther than your keyboard!

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

rukee and macgto...thanks a lot for the welcome and the info!!! cant wait to start researching and hopefully have my own GTO soon!!!!

oh..and im in houston, tx

Jon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the herd bakedbacon

I am partial to the 68-70 body styles myself. Google would be a great place to start for info along with those books. Good luck to you as you start working on your investment!

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 08-17-2007 at 05:49 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 PM

Hey bakedbacon welcome and I must say you've made a great decision on investing in a GTO no matter what year you end up with. But, sad to hear you don't like 70's models. I guess I'm bias since the 1970 with a 455 was my very first GTO I ever owned when I was a kid way back in the day. FYI another great web forum other than this forum is www.performanceyears.com look in the tech forums ya oughta check it out. Tons of GTO info.
Anyways, let us all know what GTO you end up investing in.
Brian
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM

It's all in what you like.

The 64 was the first, the original. Not one of the prettiest, but I'd love to have mine back today.

The 65-67 years are just beautiful. If you're looking for show, these are the years to get.

But if you're looking for go, then you have to look at those Ram Air III and IV years of the late 60's/early 70's.

And then we have the luxo-cruisers. Best road car I ever owned was a 72 455HO. Made it from Jacksonville, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia (350 miles) in four hours 12 minutes back in 1973.

But if you really want something unique, try a 73 or 74.

Different strokes for different folks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Maybe I'm biased but I like the '67 the best. I like the way the rear window is recessed inside the slope of the rear posts. I think that design makes the car completely unique and unlike everything else.

(like this)

The '67 gets my vote...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
bakedbacon,

I looked at a 67 this morning that is for sale in Cartersville Ga. This car is complete and the only thing I saw that is missing was the Vinyl top molding which can be found on e-bay.

I classify this car as a survivor, I did not check date codes but the engine is a YS code with the dual gate shifter. The carberator is also the correct Rochester q-jet The car is a true 242 and the paint code is N2 which is correct for the car (burgandy/black vinyl top) I looked under the car and the floors looked good. I did not check the trunk for rust. I believe this car to be a numbers matching original.

I am not interested in another 67 unless it is a convertible so I'll pass on this one. The owner is asking $14K and I don't know if he is negotiable. If you are interested send me a PM and I will supply you with this guys phone number.

Randy

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hundo View Post
Maybe I'm biased but I like the '67 the best. I like the way the rear window is recessed inside the slope of the rear posts. I think that design makes the car completely unique and unlike everything else.

(like this)

The '67 gets my vote...
If you're biased, so am I. I agree completely. Nothing beats a 67.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in