User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New hurr

Hey all,

New guy here. Just picked up a 1971 GTO project. Been sitting since the early 1990s, previous owner did the motor/trans (nonmatching 400/400 combo) then parked it for body/paint/interior which never happened.

Needless to say it's rough. The a pillars and windshield rail are all about gone. Floors need patches. But otherwise it's pretty solid.

Plans are to get it running. Other than squirting some mystery oil in the cylinders and cleaning out the gas tank/carb (or replacing might be better) and changing the oil what should I do before spinning the motor & trying to start it?

Also, I know I have a bunch of research to do, but are there any vendors in particular that are good? Or just order the master cylinder/brake lines/fuel lines/gas tank from Summit??

Thanks!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonkey View Post
Hey all,

New guy here. Just picked up a 1971 GTO project. Been sitting since the early 1990s, previous owner did the motor/trans (nonmatching 400/400 combo) then parked it for body/paint/interior which never happened.

Needless to say it's rough. The a pillars and windshield rail are all about gone. Floors need patches. But otherwise it's pretty solid.

Plans are to get it running. Other than squirting some mystery oil in the cylinders and cleaning out the gas tank/carb (or replacing might be better) and changing the oil what should I do before spinning the motor & trying to start it?

Also, I know I have a bunch of research to do, but are there any vendors in particular that are good? Or just order the master cylinder/brake lines/fuel lines/gas tank from Summit??

Thanks!

J

Welcome,

I too just obtained a 71 pontiac project car. sounds like a fun project.

You might check out Performanceyears.com for parts they are pontiac specific and seem to have alot of good products. Also there's a forum on the site that might be able to help you out. You can also check out paddockparts.com, yearone.com there's a couple others I can't think of right now.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Parts

For parts like master cylinder/brake booster and brake lines etc. make sure and check your local parts houses first as many parts may be carried still by them. A lot of parts were used for a number of years on many models and are still produced. May save you some money. I was able to get my master/booster, brake lines, radiator from a local parts house for my 72.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 PM

Garage
There are tons of parts on Ebay for your car, that's where I get most of my stuff. They have fuel tank combos on there, tank, straps and pickup for $150.
Good luck on your build and welcome.
As long as the cylinders weren't in the elements, it should be OK to spin it over with an oil change, rings will clean rust off the walls. May need new rings after that, but may not. Rebuild the carb prior to firing and make sure the ignition is good. The carb is bad after sitting for that long. You can dump gas down the carb to fire it off, but that is a fire hazard, but I have done it that way just to see if it runs.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

Didn't have a chance to touch it today, but I did get it rolled in my garage before the rain and threw some roach bait in & around to kill the critters living in it. No reason to rush now, so I guess I'll rebuild the carb before I try to start it. I'll update later.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in