New member here: is this '67 GTO worth saving? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member here: is this '67 GTO worth saving?

Hi all,

I have been a fan of muscle cars for a long time, plus I was in C3 Corvettes for a while. Right now I own '88 Ferrari Testarossa, which I bought as flood salvage in Copart auction one year ago and since then rebuilt it to a roadworthy condition. Now I am enjoying driving it!

Recently I have seen this unfortunate '67 GTO. I would be very interested in your views, is it worth saving? Eg. With a nice '67 Lemans donor car, etc. Any feedback and reality check would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 02:09 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
This car has been all over the internet, and is posted on the Performance Years forum. Your answer is NO, it's not worth saving. VIN swaps are illegal in all states. You are looking at a parts car with very few parts to offer.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
This car has been all over the internet, and is posted on the Performance Years forum. Your answer is NO, it's not worth saving. VIN swaps are illegal in all states. You are looking at a parts car with very few parts to offer.
Ok, thanks. However, I am from Europe, where VIN replacement could be legal in certain cases.

Maybe by chance you could post some links to the forums, where this car is discussed? Was not able to find on my own

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
The name of the post is "be careful out there" and it's in the '66-'67 GTO tech section of the pyforumsonline. The amount of money spent trying to make this GTO into a 35,000 dollar car again would be many times that price. The smartest and cheapest way into a '67 GTO right now is to buy one already restored or in good condition for $25-$50k. The second best and more expensive option is to buy an all original, tired and worn out but rust free GTO and restore it. That will cost you 10-15k for the car, and 25-75k to restore it. The most expensive way into a '67 GTO is to buy the car you posted, and then source a new frame, new body, new engine, new driveline, etc. You would easily be 70K plus into the car, not including purchase price, to end up with a 35k car. Not a good plan. I had a '66 GTO that took a head on hit, and it wasn't half as bad as this car, in fact, the car was rebuilt using a new frame. But the engine, transmission, and rear end were destroyed by the impact. Broke the crankshaft, transmission mounting ears, and sheared the teeth off of the ring gear in the differential. Not good.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
could make a nice altered wheel base drag car as its already been shortened 2 feet, and i know that steering wheel left a mark...

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM

I say go for it. A bunch of easy fixes and the rest will buff out....
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The name of the post is "be careful out there" and it's in the '66-'67 GTO tech section of the pyforumsonline. The amount of money spent trying to make this GTO into a 35,000 dollar car again would be many times that price. The smartest and cheapest way into a '67 GTO right now is to buy one already restored or in good condition for $25-$50k. The second best and more expensive option is to buy an all original, tired and worn out but rust free GTO and restore it. That will cost you 10-15k for the car, and 25-75k to restore it. The most expensive way into a '67 GTO is to buy the car you posted, and then source a new frame, new body, new engine, new driveline, etc. You would easily be 70K plus into the car, not including purchase price, to end up with a 35k car. Not a good plan. I had a '66 GTO that took a head on hit, and it wasn't half as bad as this car, in fact, the car was rebuilt using a new frame. But the engine, transmission, and rear end were destroyed by the impact. Broke the crankshaft, transmission mounting ears, and sheared the teeth off of the ring gear in the differential. Not good.
Thanks for taking time to write this up, that helps. I guess, my problem is that I am somehow addicted to complex projects. Eg. my previous project, Testarossa, which has been sailing underwater for some time in its life. However, in that case, I was lucky to source the full wiring harness and other electric components as a job lot cheap from a guy who was parting our crashed TR, so the whole project cost was not so bad. Anyhow, in this case, that looks a bit scary.

Thanks again, I will still end up getting 66-67 GTO as a garage companion to my '88 TR, that is just a matter of time
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 PM

Gto + oak tree = scrap
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
'Worth" saving? That's a subjective question with a subjective answer. "It depends" on how important this particular car is to someone.

However, like everyone else has said --- would it be a financially sound decision? No way. A person could easily spend 5 to 10 times what this car would ever be worth and still not get it "finished". Every body panel on this car has been damaged with the possible exception of the tail panel and rear bumper - and I'm not even sure about those. The frame is definitely way past saving with anything this side of a miracle.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12pilot View Post
Gto + oak tree = scrap
Funniest response yet right there.

Yeah, although it is sad to see another great Pontiac Warrior head to the automotive graveyard I'm afraid this one is way beyond saving. Perhaps it will donate some of it's surviving parts to someone else's GTO but this one is GONE.

Too bad, looked like a nice car too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in