• 1 Post By lil65gto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member needing help with LeMans Value

Hello all!

I am very new to the forum and Pontiacs in general. I've always wanted to own an older muscle car and have the potential of a 69 LeMans 350 in pretty good shape. What I'm wondering is street value of these and if I'm going to get burned if I decide I don't care for owning this type of car. Here's the details:

1969 Pontiac LeMans 350 with factory air. Black with mustard interior.

Engine: VIN matching 350
Trans: auto, assuming turbo 350
Body: decent shape, very little rust. Repaint 4 years ago.
Interior: fair shape. Torn drivers seat, crack over instruments in dash. Door panels are okay but arm rests are kind of wrecked.

Bad: air and heat removed, comes with compressor but no heater core. Rear quarters have a little bit of rust. Fuel sender doesn't work, but gauge tested okay. Drum brakes all the way around. Goofy wheels and one bald rear tire. Needs weatherstripping. Broken headlight housing on one side. All very small things but add up.

Good: Body is straight. Little to no rust, a gem where I live. Engine and trans run strong. Drives super solid, even the brakes felt great.

I think that is most of it. My question really comes in as how much are these really worth. If the little blemishes were fixed how much can I expect to sell it for if that were the case? I just don't want to be upside-down on it because I don't know if I will love having it.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.JPG.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	90537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Here are some more pictures of the car. Like I said I think its in great shape with just a couple rough spots. I want to buy it in a couple days if the value is where I think it should be, just looking for opinions of people that are around it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	90553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	90561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	90569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	90577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	90585  

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to the Forum. The '69 LeMans 2 door hardtop in the pics appears to have received black paint in the last few years over who knows how poor of rust repair & bodywork. Not good,, am betting the cars original exterior color was a light gold. Personally, i would want to carefully examine every body panel. The interior is another money pit, a combination of poor condition '69 LeMans dashb& doorpanels along with '73 & later deluxe Firebird bucket seats. On this Forum, you prob won't find a bigger fan, who has put his hard earned funds towards factory higher performance Tempets & LeMans. Unfortunately, this above vehiicle does not meet the "muscle car" definition, it's merely a 350 2 bbl LeMans with a GTO hood. Personally, I would steer waaaay clear of such a project. Can easily see whatever the purchase price is wanted for this '69, PLUS another 15K just to arrive at a '69 LeMans with the rust fixed properly, repainted, with interior revisions made, & with little funds left for drivetrain needs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Pinion Head, Thank you for the reply. It seems to be the general consensus, so I will be steering way clear of this car. Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi Mike, You didn't state your intentions with this car (restore, drag, or just beat on) but as Pinion Head said since you don't know the amount of rust or bodywork under that paint you've got to be careful. However the paint shines and its not all that bad looking (regardless whats hidden underneath), I could see throwing a mild 400 4bbl in this car and using it as a summer fun car around town, a little street racing with the Jap honda's and toyota's hangin out at the burger joint, beat on it a little and use it up. If I was working and had extra funds I could see offering the guy $2k for it and having a go at it. At that price I think you could still get out of it break-even or with minimal loss, after having a nice summer.
CPG
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Ha yeah if it were around that price point it would almost be a no-brainer, but this guy is asking around 10k. I had my dream goggles on so I didn't see it in as bad of shape as it is. I'm going to walk from this one and maybe find something else. I'm also a big fan of the Buick Skylark GS, so maybe one of those will pop up.

Thanks for the reply's guys!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum Mike. Yeah, there's going to be a wide range of opinions on price for good reasons, location, ability to repair, time & means available to shop,on and on.. Before I read your reply quoting asking price, I figured it would be 5k-7k.
If you could get it for around that much by offering... With the minor fixes like some swap meet seats or new covers, new inner door panels, some cleaning touch up, swamping the carb to a 4 barrel if you care too you know easy stuff; maybe you could use something to patch or even swap the dash. Then I would have to think if you didn't love the car at that point you could get your investment back next spring or summer. I sold cars years back; they told me there is a seat for every butt and a butt for every seat. That said, we would sell a Ford Taurus every other day then, BUT the 1 Taurus SHO would sit for a couple months before someone was willing to pay that much for, and want the performance Yamaha motor and upgraded Ford goodies. I think the LeMans looks pretty nice on the outside for a weekend fun car already and may be fun for years before worrying about rust showing.
As for looking for a GS, you just have to figure how much you want it and how much you are willing to get into and/or invest project wise. Realistically, once you invest a few k into the car... it's yours for keeping unless you own a body shop and can do all the work cheap. Other than that, it's next to impossible to recoup hours of work, parts cash and so on because when someone goes to buy it they cant be sure you didn't leave a rod bolt loose in the motor and they may want a faster, or conversely a more stock car. Also consider if it's the oridg motor if you want to use it or something else. If you don't need a over powered monster car rebuild the stock motor,if you want to safely take it to the track best to build or buy a different motor in case you get carried away as you won't want to blow up a numbers matching V8. Good luck man and visit again if you get the car or not.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Not to stir the pot but this is the way I look at it:

1) I like the Lemans & Tempests because you’re paying a lot less than a GTO and it’s essentially the same car, just without some of the “upgrade” features. Kind of like dogs, you can have the purebred or one from the pound…for the most part they do the same thing and you’ll love either one. I have a GTO but prefer our Lemans (just personal preference). That, and you don’t see many Lemans or Tempests anymore due to being “magically transformed” into GTOs.

2) You could hold out and buy another car that “appears” rust free but without stripping the car down…you’ll never really know the extent of it. An older friend in our town had a ’67 Camaro that was DROP DEAD GORGEOUS but it was the biggest bondo buggy around. Whoever bought that car was probably pissed when they found out how horrible the body really was. You just never know.

Something to think about: I get ribbed all the time about dumping 25k into our Lemans. Why everyone asks? Well, I paid less than half of what a GTO costs, I have a rust free body with new paint now (I know what is under the paint), the engine and tranny are now new (and what I wanted) and ready for a long life (I know what is under the hood) and everything else has been replaced/upgraded/restored for a long life ahead (again, I know EXACTLY what I have). I could have just bought a GTO that appeared restored but I would never truly know the TRUE condition. The Lemans allowed me to know this without investing 60k + into to.

The only downside here: The resell value. The GTO will always command more but if you’re like me, you have no intentions to sell your ride.

I have the upmost respect for everyone and their love of the hobby. Pontiac, Chevy, Ford, Dodge…as long as you enjoy your ride, it’s all cool!
1968gto421 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Stir away! And you both bring up a great point.

What I am really wanting is something nice and clean to drive just to enjoy. I don't really care about it being rare or worth tons of money, but I do want it to be something that I can get my money back if I decide it isn't for me or I want something else. I also like to tinker and I love the simplicity of older cars, so I don't mind fixing something up but again don't want to be upside down in the end. I will do almost all my own work which does help with expenses.

Now that may be a little unrealistic, and honestly if I were to take a small loss it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I think this particular Lemans is going to be more hassle than its worth. What I'm considering now is something like this:

1972 Buick Skylark GS Tribute 383 v8 California Car!!!

Seems clean, and supposedly runs strong. If I were to buy it I would drive it as is for a while and then possibly swap out the 383 for the likes of a 455 just because I have always wanted a big block. Oh and I would Ditch those stupid stick-on fake hood scoops. But even that for $15k seems a little steep, so maybe not so much.

I just wish I could drive one for a while and see if I really like it as much as I think I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in